Should of been a weatherman

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jsr2741, Apr 17, 2003.

1. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Ever notice that the weatherman is usually wrong about 70% of the time but yet he still gets paid.

Tuesday, the forecast was for rain on wednesday. So naturally I knocked out my wednesday accounts along with my tuesday work.

Wednesday comes, real crappy looking out but no rain. Weatherman say anytime now. I wait an hour or so, nothing but clouds. I load up and it starts to rain. I unload, rain stops shortly after. So I load up again and head out. Starts raining again and it looks like it will be a long spell so I unload. Rain stops.

I said screw it, I've got errands to run. Wouldn't you know it, it didn't rain till later in the evening and today; at least for me, its to wet to cut, so now I'm a day behind.

As much as I guessed wrong the past two days I should be getting paid... just like the weatherman.

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Not to be picky but a average weather person is right about 51% of the time. I try and not put too much confidence into what they are "predicting."

Gravely_Man

3. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

Go to a website with radar and you'll know when to go out.

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I feel your pain. I was gonna mow today, Friday is my rain date. Well it was raining steady pour when I woke up and has been raining off an on today. It's too wet to mow, the deck would clog and the lawns would get all marked up maybe rutted alittle. I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow or I'm sunk :rolleyes: I don't mind mowing in the rain or mowing wet grass but there's practically standing water on the lawn!:dizzy: :sleeping:

5. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

6. Jeffex is right, Intellicast is the way to go. It’s much better than The Weather Channel (TV or website). I use it along with one of the local TV station’s website. Radar, Radar Loops, 2-5 Day forecasts, etc. The THUNDERcast and PRECIPcast are pretty accurate within a day or two. But when it’s actually going to rain, the online radar is the most valuable tool for your neighborhood.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I never listen to a weather man..what I do is just watch the radar pattern for the past 3 to 5 hours and then I can just about predict I would say around 75% of the time when the rain will hit us here. Heck just 2 weeks ago I told my employees that rain would be here in 5 mins, it was actually 7 minutes, but pretty darn close. Even this past winter I predicted when the snow would stop and sure enough it stopped exactly the time I said it would.

I think that you just have to watch and read the radar pattern.

8. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Just get the TOTALLY FREE Weather Bug!!!!!!!!!

Weatherbug.com

I dont trust the weaher guy either, so I started forcasting my OWN weather 2 years ago. HAVEN'T been wrong yet!!!!!

Its what I use, cuz our "Jerry Hodak" cant read the dumb doppler radar 7000!!! (I think thats stupid too- If the weathers on channel 2, Doppler radar is called "Doppler Radar 2000", on channel 4, "Doppler radar 4000", and so on and so forth):D

9. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

if you use the NEXRAD radar it shows a more detailed radar. It is called pixilated radar and can show when it is about to rain and when it is actually falling. Standard radar may show green but it may not be actually hitting the ground. We have used nexrad to move to the other side of our territory while isolated t-storms pass. I taught my wife to read the maps and i just call her on the cell.

10. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

www.weatherunderground.com

good detail. use weatherbug and weather channel. I check all the radars and get a pretty good idea. Today 64 low and 90 high no rain. Eat your heart out :D