Should paperwork be charged???

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tiedeman, Jan 17, 2003.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have been thinking about this for a couple of years now, and I was wondering whether or not I should charge a paperwork fee for setup profess? I always offer free estimates(walkthroughs) and once the customer agrees the paperwork begins. I was wondering whether or not I should charge a flat fee, lets say $10.00 for setting up their account and package program. I have been thinking about it for a while now, but I am not sure whether or not I should. What do you think???:confused:

2. tiedeman

from earth

I have had 23 views, but nobody has an idea???

3. Earthscapes

Earthscapes LawnSite Member
    from WNY

Lets just say they pay for everything (pens,paper,advertising,fuel,insurance etc. ect.ect.)
    Just add it in but don't show it to them
    If i billed a customer extra for my office work and showed it on their bill they would probably tell me to go f-off

4. tiedeman

from earth

Ya, I know what you mean. Because when I estimate for there lawn I use a square foot system. And so I can, but can't add it in there. I do see your point though. Just the paperwork is a bear to do, they are about 20 sheets of paperwork to fill out for the customer (newsletter updating, accounting updating, customer profiling updating, package updating, calendar updating, etc).

5. Earthscapes

from WNY

do you tell them you use sq. ft. pricing ?? I use lots of different methods to price .but they never know how i do it.

btw that seems like alot of paper work. do you do eveything on paper ??? if so why not use quickbooks ??

6. tiedeman

from earth

I do use quickbooks. But I use about 5 other programs all of the other information. I would like to lessen the paperwork, but all of the paperwork actually comes in handly. I shouldn't necessarily say paperwork, about 75% of its on the computer and I just have to enter in the information, but for one customer Paperwork usually takes about 1 hour to do.

7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

You could have a clause that if they back out anytime after the paper work begins up to the end of the first season, then there would be a fee to cover the extra costs you incured in setting up the account. Otherwise just absorb it into your price. That's all part of operating costs anyway , isn't it?

8. tiedeman

from earth

True, but you know us LCO's, always trying to make a little extra money on the side to cover costs.

9. Earthscapes

from WNY

Ok..... i just don't understand what you are doing i guess.

10. tiedeman

from earth

here is the run down, I myself the owner is the sole-owner, so basically I don't really check a paycheck everyweek. I do 99% of the income, expense, web site updating, paperwork, basically anything in the office you name it. I probably work to be honest with you about 11 to 13 hours a day, 6 days a week. So I kind of want something a little extra for all of the extra paperwork that I do. I know that I can just include it into the estimate (the square foot estimate) but I just don't like to do that. I want to show the customers that they are getting billed for the paperwork, basically call it a "setup fee."