should the customer be expected to bend?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 7, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i had quite a rough day today. i woke up at 6, it was pouring rain. the mowers were left outside all night. rain stopped like 8 am. went out to see if i could get everything started. mower wouldn't start. i squirt starting fluid, pull cord, it catches fire. it's sizzling away as i scramble for the hose that is wrapped around my juniper, and the handle is messed up. finally, i put out the fire. got everything started, and pulled away after 9. now, the grass is growing like crazy, it's high, and it's very wet. sunday is mothers day, and i certainly don't want to leave anybody with an uncut lawn. so, we're halling azz to get the work done. and of course, u have the folks that fert thier own lawn, or have an outsider do it, and we know what that means....thick, high, wet, grass. i will admit i didn't exactly leave everybody's lawn in perfect condition. a little grass in the beds, maybe in the street, whatever, but it was cut. now, i do anticipate a few calls about this. my position is simple, to a grass man, rain is like an emergency, you just make the best of it, i think they need to roll with the punches just like we do. opinions? policies on such complaints?

2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know how many you had to do, or how many you have to do tomorrow but I would be rushing to get done but also trying to make it look nice. Even though you started at 9 its not the end of the world, just work alittle later. Just me.

3. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, i think you'll be getting some calls. Rain IS an emergency, BUT you still have to provide as good service as you possibly can (no grass in the streets, beds and so on). You just have to work a bit later than you wanted to.

You posted at almost 4PM, so you're done mowing/working already?? You couldn''t have been in THAT big a rush. I have no idea what your schedule looks like, but if you're not cutting for more than 8 hours on a Friday, you needed to have spent more time making things today, the way you usually do it. Also, it quit raining at 8am. i probably wouldn't have started till 10am. I like to give the grass about 2 hrs to dry, but when things are "jammin" around here, i give it an hour. JMO

Time to go back to work.

4. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I agree it doesnt even get dark where I am from until almost 8:30 p.m not tryin to be harsh but hey what is your excuse.......

5. Ray & Karen

Ray & Karen LawnSite Member

I think they got ya Bobby!! Your post told what time you were done working. Shame on you!!

6. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I would do the best I could under the circumstances, but I would definitley would not leave grass in the street or walkways, but the other cr@p that comes with mowing wet grass, most of my customers understand and cut me some slack, they tell me to take care of it the next time around. Bobby take your time and don't worry about the small stuff.

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

You take your wife and kids out to eat at a nice restaurant on Mother's Day. While there you are treated like crap. You have to wait long to be seated, when your order arrives it is the wrong food, and when they do fix your order it comes back cold. You call for the manager to complain. The manager comes over and this is what he says, "Hey buddy, Mother's Day is the busiest day of the year here, what do you expect, take what service you can get and don't complain about it." Sound familar? Customers expect good service.
    Two letters for you Bobby.
    O.T.

Matt

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Yep,working late really isn't a crime.
    It's a must when running a business.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I think that it depends on the customer. You should be able to know now what customers will bend and what ones won't.

10. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Right now I'm lucky to get back before dark any night of the week. After being off for almost 4 months in the winter I'm just glad to be able to work long hours again. Sorry Bobby, I don't believe in short cuts. Do you really expect a customer to pay for a job that's incomplete? I wouldn't.