should the grass ever be cut short?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 6, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this is a test: i know the cool season grass types in my area are best cut at 3 inches or higher. this is for the well being of the grass. is it ever neccesary to cut it shorter, for the well being of the grass? if yes, tell me why

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Sometimes, when you are doing renovations, ie. scalping, aerating, reseeding, de-thatching,etc. it is a good idea to cut a bit shorter before the work is done.

3. bobbygedd

from NJ

not the answer i was looking for. is there any type of environment, or atmoshphere, that would make you cut the grass shorter than usual?

4. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

A very smokey one? Is this a test?

5. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

If you are running out of work, and need a large sod job, it is best to cut as low as possible when it is above 90 degrees, and restrict watering.

only time I have heard is if the lawn is infected at all, and you are trying to bag the clippings to remove as much contamination to the blades of grass as possible, but I would consider myself inexperienced in this field, so take this for what you paid for it

only other time I have heard to do so is very early in the spring, to promote full blade growth from a fresh start, usually in conjunction with as stated, other work (power raking, seeding, etc.)

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

this is a test. you are all wrong. maybe if u smoked what i do, you could figure it out

7. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Then no. It is not ever necessary to cut the grass shorter for the well being of the lawn.

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

wrong ken, very wrong

9. RedRock

RedRock LawnSite Member

Cut shorter when you get paid by the hour to rake and bage clippings!

10. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Do we get mutiple choice?

I cut grass shorter when i know we are going to get heavy rains in the next couple of days. If i cut it normal under those conditions, the following week I'm cutting off more then half. by cutting it shrter, I'm saving the lawn from damage, the following week. I don't know if that's what you're looking for, but It always works for me.

I didn't know we take exams on this site!

Bobby, what are the signs of an over watered, and under watered arb? This is a test.