Should they still pay??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ives Landscaping, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

My personal opinion is most wall/failure/repair requirements and assessments can be made without lifting a shovel....

2. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Who's responsible for the integrity of the subgrade?

That'll decide who's responsible for paying for the repair.

One thing that I always did (writing construction subcontracts) is make each subcontractor accept the condition of the work he was placing his over/on, before beginning their scope. An example of this would be a painter accepting (or not) the GWB sub's walls....or, a flooring subcontractor accepting (or not) the flooring surface (i.e. concrete slab).

A retaining wall is a structure, and it requires adequately compacted soils for its' foundation. So, did you compact the soil? Did someone else? In my state, a retaining wall (most times) requires a structural engineer's stamp. It's no small endeavor.

Need more info.

3. Ives Landscaping

Ives Landscaping LawnSite Member

All is good now!! They were just fussing more or less. And for the record.... I bid fixing the wall at $2200. When all said and done the bill would have been $3375. I lost out over a thousand on it. But I sent them a bill for the origional bid.

4. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

Next time get the potential for extra work due to unforeseen situation down in writing.

All estimates should be written up as an estimate, within twenty percent of amount estimated, that would have got you $440.00 more dollars. If you are giving an exact price call it a quote, and the invoice will be exact to the quote.

It was a hard lesson, but they always pay off down the long road.

Best luck!

5. AGLandscape

AGLandscape LawnSite Member

Why did you need a tractor to do a retaining wall repair??
    I see that you got everything sorted out, but if you knew the wall would fall, wouldn't it have been professional courtisy to refuse the job based on the fact that you knew it was structurally unsound? Even if your client insisted, who's the professional here? Do they do landscaping? Probably not if they had you come do it for them. When you gave the client a bid for the job, did you include the 'what if' factor? Since you explained that you knew the wall wasn't up to parr, didn't you include the possibility of the costs to repair the wall? I'm not judging you or your business smarts, and I see that you have been in business for a while, but this looks like a rookie mistake.
    Back on subject, I don't think the client should have to pay you extra on top of the first origional bid because, though it was an accident, it was carelessness on your part. the wall wasn't sturdy and you insisted to the client that the wall was not sturdy, but did the work anyways. Looks to me like you set yourself up for the extra expenses.

6. AGLandscape

AGLandscape LawnSite Member

Please disregard the above post, he doesn't know what he's talking about.