Should this Tree Go?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by 1simple, Jul 10, 2008.

1. 1simple

1simple LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I hope I'm posting in the right forum. Can you guys give me your opinion. Should I replace this tree as it isn't growing straight, see my pics below. Or should I simply cut the limb off where it is starting to grow crocked, right before that area? If I do that, it will look really stupid as that will be half the tree at top. Any suggestions? It is a red oak tree I believe.

Thanks for your input.

Curtis

IMG_5012.jpg

IMG_5013.jpg

2. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely not! Give the tree a fe more years to grow, and then prune it. You still have stakes up, so I am asuming it has been in less than six months? If so that tree needs all of its energy (carbohydrates) to grow, and develop a root system.
    See what it does......

Pruning that much out would likly kill a newly planted tree like this one.

And those two trees are planted too close together, IMO. They will likely grow togehter in ten years or so.

3. 1simple

1simple LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Planted in January. We have had some really strong winds lately, so I figured I would leave the stakes up for about a year. My question is by looking at how it is, if I allow it to continue growing, wont it grow in that direction? A few years from now, I will have a bigger tree going off to the side and not straight up?

Also, Centex, the builder planted the trees, not I. I thought they were too close as they should get really big in 10 yrs. Should I leave them as is or take one down and maybe move it to the back yard?

4. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

They look like Oak Trees and if thats the case they are planted in the wrong place ie: in between the walk and street. Might think about moving to the yard where they will have a chance for a long life.JMO
    James

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I would not have that in my yard... trash it or plant in the backyard. It is only about a $100 tree anyway. It is very common to have oak trees planted b/t sidewalks and the street... every been to savannah?

6. 1simple

1simple LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I was told they are red oak. THey can't grow without breaking up the sidewalk? I thought roots go down into the ground? I would think the builder would consider this when planting all these trees.

7. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like Nutall Oaks.

I'd move the crooked one to the back yard (or trash it) and possibly move the other to a more visually appealing location.

As far as oaks between the sidewalks and the street, I think it's GREAT. We regularly plant them that way here (in New Orleans) as it's one of the traditionally historic features here.

8. 1simple

1simple LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Why do you say this? You don't think it is a pretty tree? They did plant different trees next to me, so it isn't like there are a ton of the same trees all along the street.

9. 1simple

1simple LawnSite Member
    from Texas

So chances are this tree wont grow straight?

10. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

You need to remove the stakes and let the trees roots learn to compensate for wind, and grow compression wood in the trunk and limbs where needed. 12 months with stakes is a long time especially in TX.

You never know what the tree is going to do. It may straighten out, it may keep growing that way, it may "even" out some. More than likely it will grow a few more limbs that would be much better candidates to reduce back to than what is there now.

IF you were to move one I would suggest the one closest to the drive. it will start to inhibit the drive and the look of the home. These get large canopies, some 80' wide! Although not for 20-30 years.

Yes these trees, and ANY tree for that matter, will do sidewalk damage. Taking them out because of this is ludicrous! These are perfectly good trees, that look very healthy. They will do fine. Oaks have tap roots which grow straight down for strength and support. And they also grow fibrous roots which take up nutrients, water and oxygen. These roots are further out, by the tips of the branches. They will grow under the sidewalk and into your front yard, like they always do in these situation.

Mulch it, water it 2 times a week, deeply, and keep an eye on it. And remove those stakes! :) But don't trash it!