Should you hire friends

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PRECISION LC, Dec 3, 2001.

1. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

NO!!!!!

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't and don't plan on it.

3. longslawn

longslawn LawnSite Member

It depends on what you want to lose the most
    a good friend
    or a employee
    if it don't work out. My advice is not to hire friends are family as permanent employees:rolleyes:

4. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

NO ! :D

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

NO!!!

6. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have a friend that has been asking me to go into partnership with him. He is self-employed, but not in this industry. He is a very hard worker. I am 33 years old and have been friends with him for 25 of those years. Today I told him no, that I would not go into business with him because 25 years from now I would still like to be friends.
    Matt

8. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

No

You will likely go though many many workers if you stay in the business long, don't ruin a friendship in the process.

Jay

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

do not employ or work for friends

10. GreenStar

GreenStar Banned

that all depends, do they drink the same number of beers with you at the bar watching monday night football? if yes then probly shouldn't hire friends. i know i need to be on the road at 7:30 not 8:15 but your drinking buddy will not see it that way. i hired one of my friends for one sole purpose.. i have a few complexes that get trimmed bi weekly. he checks in with me in the morning i give him a check sheet gas edgers blowers and such and he leaves i check his work when i'm there to cut. this works good for both of us he's a college student and a bar tender at night. he know his schedule and works them together. has anyone else done this?