1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

shouldn't the customer be responsible???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 4, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i have 2 customers, one has a small area of turf, surrounded by burning bush, i can get back there with the mower, so i weed wack the area. the bushes are now so overgrown, i can't get through without scratching the hell out of my arms and face. i told her we would have some time to trim the shrubbery, i can give her a price for the whole property, or just the shrubbery blocking the small turf area. she said she don't want the rest of the property trimmed, but if that area is stopping me from getting through, i have "permission" to trim them, for my convenience. the other client has low hanging limbs, and some freakin bush with thorns 2 inches long, same thing, i can't mow under or around them. both clients feel that since it's stopping me from doing my job, i should trim/prune at my own expense. for now, i just work around it, i aint doin it if they aint paying. shouldn't the client be responsible for maintaining a reasonably safe work area?
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

At your expense??? Are they f***ing crazy???
  3. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Plain and simple, quit mowing the sections, when they complain, give them a quote. Otherwise just do not mow the area.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is what I say too, just stop doing the areas..they will get the hint
  5. jodyand

jodyand LawnSite Member

Just go and cut you a hole so you can get though don't worry about the rest of it. If they say something just tell them you told me to trim it. And i trim it so i could get in there and work.
  6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I've pruned low branches, thorns, etc for no charge. I figure that yes, I'm not getting paid for it, but then every week, I'm saving money because my workers don't have to slow down to avoid getting scratched or bumped on the head.
  7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I would prune the shrub back at the stump and tell them it's on the house and I will take care of any other shrubs that are in the way free of charge.
    In reality we do stuff like this for free once in awhile to make it easier for ourselves but only to speed our job up and only do what we want done.
  8. WAGS LandL

WAGS LandL LawnSite Member

One pruning cut at ground level should do the trick.
  9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Had this problem one time. Row of Roses going rampant and let me tell you it sucked to mow through the area. I asked the said if I needed to trim go ahead but they would not pay for it was only going to make my job easier. Long story short I trimed the roses and left on their back deck.
    Got a call asking if I could dispose of, Yep, 95.00. What Yep cutting and disposal is 95.00. customer well what about just disposal. me 300.00. customer. oh ok cut and disposal. Still have to date and yes I trim the roses now also.
  10. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

yeah I was kind wondering the same thing. I have a problem with Russan Olive trees around here. They grow like weeds and if they aren't maintained they start to hang over the lawns in great quanity and eventually start to take over the lawn, some of my people don't want them trimmed or removed but they piss me off when mowing around them