shout out to people in illinois

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by drak, Nov 24, 2007.

1. drak

drak LawnSite Member

do you guys know if i need a license for weed control/fertilization in illinois, and what are the requeriments?

2. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

3. Nate@TLCS

Nate@TLCS LawnSite Member

Absolutely. Take the class before the test if you don't have any experience. Also, if you do snow removal, use a push spreader with salt in it on driveways so you get use to the pass you make. Always hit the center of your last wheel pass.(rotary spreader)

4. drak

drak LawnSite Member

thanks for share information, do you have any idea if the test can be taken at any time, because i am worry about not geeting my license before next spring, otherwise im going to need to subcontrac someone, thanks for sharing experience

5. Nate@TLCS

Nate@TLCS LawnSite Member

Illinois Department of Agriculture Pesticide Testing Phone#(217)785-2427
    call them (should be Tammy) tell them your deal, they will tell you what you need to do. Also you can get a jump on this by ordering the book(s) online. General Standards,(then one of the following) Turf, Ornamentals(hardest test), Rights of way. Get the books and workbooks readeach 4 times befor you take the test and post the scores so we knbow how you did.....don't take the test until after the first though you will have to pay your fee twice (only $60)

6. drak

drak LawnSite Member

Your advice was very helpful, I was lost and I did not know exactly were to start. I searched on line for a while before posting my question but, would you believe me if I told you that I found very few leads....I will be calling asap tomorrow morning. Good thing you mentioned the whole deal about paying the fee until next year, that way I wont have to pay twice in such a short time. Once again thank you for sparing your time and your experience, not a lot of folks around here like to do that. Have a safe winter!!!:waving:

7. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, i am sitting here looking at my study books i got. Im taking the test in Springfield at the Crown Plaza on Feb 7-8th.

This will be my first year dealing with Pesticides. Im taking general standards and Right Of Ways. Can someone tell me what to expect? How many questions, is it multiple choice?

8. drak

drak LawnSite Member

hi guys, i just wanted to know if i need to take the test of right-of-way, because the guy told me over the phone that i just need to take "General standars" and "Turf Grass manual", i am just going to offer the fertilizing and weed control services residential/commercial.

9. harleybuilder

harleybuilder LawnSite Member
    from IL

Hey guys, i just completed the general standards yesterday PASSED with a 86, and done the right of way today and PASSED with a 82........yehaaa for me......
    Davis- the GS test is 100 question all multiple choice. you have to score atleast a 70%, it felt like it was a lot tougher than the right of way test. The right of way test is a 50 question multiple choice with a passing score of 70%. As Nate stated be sure and get your books and workbooks and study,study,study. GOOD LUCK.......

DRAK. You should not need the right of way endorsement.. GOOD LUCK.....

10. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

If you plan on spraying any weed or grass killer along curbs of in cracks in pavement you will need R-O-W