1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

shovelling snow off of grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Feb 27, 2007.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Picked up a new customer a few weeks ago, and happened to go by her house today. She was out there shoveling snow off of her grass. Still some snow here that hasn't melted especially in places where the sun isn't hitting. We stopped and asked her what she was doing, she is an old lady, and shouldn't be worrying about stuff like that. She says, "i got to get the snow off, before the grass gets mold."
    Now this is the first time I have ever seen someone do this, and it makes me wonder, "is this lady going to be maybe a little too picky to work for?"
    Ever see your customers shovelling snow off of their grass??? :confused:

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

No but your probably right It is good to see she is. Maybe she understanding about the price of quality too.:)
  3. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

She can't wait for you to start caring for her property.:laugh: So she's getting a head start.
  4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

that could really be a red flag.... she might be a little confused....or she is gong to be impossable to please....
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

she probably just caught something on the news or an educational program about snow molds and had a knee jerk reaction. Just like people that stop eating peanut butter for 2 days after a scare, but then have PB&J sandwiches for lunch when they're sitting home with the kids
  6. ASBK

ASBK LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Nobody likes snow mold. When I used to work at a golf course I used to shovel the greens and tees of in the spring. Its common practice at golf courses.Give her some credit, shes smarter than she looks. I do alot of "unnecessary" shoveling around my house too. But I hate snow with a passion and the sooner it melts the happier I am.
  7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Doesn't the mold have a bit to do with temperature of the ground? Or the grass has gone dormant?

Golf course people really get excited in the spring or early fall when the snow comes.
  8. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Her sister must live near me because some old lady does the same thing. And during the summer shes on her hands and knees raking the lawn out.:confused:
  9. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

wow, you are anti-snow?! We don't get it enough around here so good feelings abound when it flies.
  10. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know why someonw would do that, I've seen people who plow the snow off a section of their lawn, to get to a barn in the back of their property (a neighbor), and it actually causes the grass to have a slower green up time in the spring. I can't see the logic behind shoveling the snow off the lawn :dizzy: .