1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Shovels, fiberglass or wood?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Mar 13, 2005.

Shovel Material

1. Fiberglass

22 vote(s)
  2. Wood

8 vote(s)
  1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I never knew how expensive shovels can be until you start breaking them.. I went through so many shovels that I am sick of it :angry:

I started using a variety of shovels from Home Depot (Garant Ultra Grip) the grey ones and the copperhead fiberglass shovels..

What are some heavy duty shovels that will last? I know that I like the fiberglass better then the wooden ones,

Is the copperhead the better one then the ultra grip, both are from garant..

2. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

fiberglass ones from sears. they are craftmen with a lifetime warrenty, if u break them u get new ones. I guess im a scrub because i bought shovels from sears? :angel: :cool:
  3. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

I use the sears craftsman shovels, rakes,loppers etc.fiberglass handles. They rarely break and if they do I take them back for free replacement.There is only a 60 or 90 day gaurantee for contractors. So don't go there anouncing your a contractor.
  4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sears as well. And when they start looking nasty, just start breaking! I get new ones every year!
  5. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have a copperhead bow rake and the handles are freakin' tough. I was pulling barbed wire in a pile of brush the other day, and half the pile came with me. I started pulling so hard that my rake head was almost touching the handle and it showed no sign of breaking or permenant warping or damage.
  6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Another vote for Craftsman. Buy the tool once. The good yellow fiberglass handled tools have held up pretty well, and they don't get left behind as much because of the bright color.
  7. alpine692003

well, I've broken my 1st copperhead shovel the other day..

I just bought an ultra grip shovel, so i'll try that out..

After that, im going to test out craftsman fiberglasses..
  8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Like Gmgbo said, Sears LIFETIME warranty! Great now there will be thread after thread on how we are scrubs because we are using Craftsman hand tools like stupid shovels and rakes. :blob3:
  9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

excellent point, I bought my "lifetime warranty" fiberglass shovels from HD,
    By the time I broke one. They had changed brands and the only way I could get a replacement was to send to the manufacturer & pay shipping both ways. Bought a new shovel. It was cheaper.
    Next time I'll go to sears like you. Over the counter exchange, I never thought about that.
  10. alpine692003

Great, I'll give Sears Craftsman a shot!

I have like 15 shovels and I go through 1 shovel a month.