1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Hank Reardon, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Where are you guys buying shovels? What brands?
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

sears, store brand, lifetime warranty.
    I like the handles, mostly splinter free because they're fiberglass but they can crack (watch out if it does) but it takes a lot and once it's cracked you can't use it anyhow. I bought 2 each (2 flat, 2 round), have brought one back for replacement, no other problems.

Don't use them much, but had them going on 5 years now, I dare say you'd get at least a year's daily use out of one but if I'm wrong, please let us know. You can get it replaced for free anytime but ... Once is enough for me, if it's no good why do I want another? In my case, I find their shovels are dandy. Nice yellow handle, hard to miss.

Used them for topsoil (uhm maybe 10 cu.yds.), rocks (about 10 cu.yds. of that) and a fair amount of minor digging as well.
    Never took them mining for gold, but other than that.
  3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We order these shovels six at a time through one of our suppliers. Heavy sucker and breaks through just about anything.

Irrigation Shovel IV-01.jpg
  4. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

Steam Shovel???:rolleyes:

Okay...do they still make the "Rigid" brand. I tell the boys they can have whatever they want so long as they replace them when they lose it....so we use the cheap fibreglass handled "Contractors" shovel ($17). We find the older the shovel the better it holds up (whilst the same can't be said for the owner). We often find a shovel with a broken handle and fit a new "Mallet" handle of Aussie hardwood and they are often better than new. Love those old rigid shovels though, they were the best....if they were at least 20 years old.

Popular brand down here is "Cyclone" but they are reasonably expensive($46).
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Ridge Tools sells their stuff with the "Ridgid" brand name. Union Tools is/was another shovel supplier of note.
  6. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Hayes, the high schools where I worked at back on the Cally Coast used to have their automotive shop students weld together tools for the maintenance crews. It was a win win situation. The students got training and projects that they were graded on, and the maintenance department almost always got more hefty and nicer tools than readily available… and they were free. Just couldn’t beat it with a stick, so we took good care of these kids.
  7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

They're more interested in other things these days. :laugh: We have our mechanic fabricate some of the things we may need.
  8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I was just thinking about this very subject yesterday. I remembered having a string of problems back about 7 years ago with shovels. I started a thread about it on here back around the turn of the century :laugh:

Anyway, shovels typically got lost before they ever broke for me. But all of a sudden I had purchased several Ames fiberglass-handled ones, that looked almost exactly like what I had been using for several years, and they broke almost immediately. I bought a high-dollar Hisco from the supply house and mangled the blade on that within a day. All had True-Temper blades, but most others did too.

I guess I got a string of defective stuff, because pretty soon all was back to normal. I have not broken one since those three and that happened, all within a few week period. I still have some Craftsmans from about that period. And few from Ace, at least I think that is what the red handled ones are.
  9. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I use structron trenching shovels... I've never broken one yet... I can put one under a boulder and jump on it...

I do use craftsman rakes though... I bought four of them three years ago and usually exchange about three of them a year... so I guess I got 9 for the price of 4 so far...

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We use Bullhead trenching shovels.

Stronger than anything we have tried, and a wooden handle (which I greatly prefer to fiberglass)