Show me the money!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jz1english, Sep 15, 2006.

1. jz1english

jz1english LawnSite Member

Hello,

I am just getting started in developing a business plan for a landscaping business I intend to start. I plan on starting out doing maintenance because I have experience in lawn mowing, bush trimming, etc. However, I am wondering where the real bid dollar profits are in landscaping. As I understand it, there are three aspects of landscaping: Design, maintenance and installation. What areas would I want to eventually expand into to make the bigger dollars and how would I go about doing that?

Thanks for you advice.

John

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

It all goes hand to hand here.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The real dollar profits are realized after their check successfully clears the bank, pays for all the cost, and there is some left over...
    That's your real profit, everything else is bs lol.

It's not so much what you do, it has a lot to do with how fast you can do it and how low you can keep your own cost while keeping the quality high enough to justify a steep enough price.

p.s.: take it easy, slow down some :)

4. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

John, there is money in all 3 aspects, but as you'll probably fiind out the hard way, there is less money in straight cutting the grass and as you put it, you have lots of experience in cutting grass. You shouldn't be surprised that there are a lot of people like you who have lots of experience cutting grass.

There are less people who feel confident in laying pavers, redoing the landscape in a yard or doing rock beds. There is more profits where it's harder to quote and believe me, it's harder to quote a landscape job than pricing a lawn cutting project. That being said, Topsites is right, take it slow as you can bury yourself with one big landscape project that wasn't priced right. Better to start cutting, make some dollars, gain some experience, visit the stores that sell pavers etc... look at some landscape projects as they are being done and it might take the mystery out of it.

In short, the answer to where the most profits are is not in maintenance(unless you have 5 to 10 crews) but in designing and building the landscape projects. My local John Deere dealership has a salesman I've known for years, and he's the one who opened my eyes to the landscape work profits. He was right, more than 10 times the profit in designing than maintaining. That's on average of course and that's with a proper quote!!

5. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

lets just say if its easy it probably doesnt make a ton of $$$

you sound like a good guy, why dont ya come work for me. if you dont make atleast $2500 for me in the first week your gone though......seriously

if you can figure out how to make $50,000 in 8 months then ill give ya $30,000 of it. call me man!

*edit(duracutters right, insted of paying $5000+ for a new Z you can pay $500 for a new design program and reap millions)

bud all you have to do is make your contracts sign on the dotted line then do the work and you will get paid

6. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

as long as your not in mid-mich i dont care:usflag:

7. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

You dont even have to pay $500.. just steal it off the internet :drinkup:

8. Phoenix

Phoenix LawnSite Member

Wowing = bills get paid.
    Flower bed overhauls = mommy gets a new pair of shoes.
    Complete landscapes = some money make it into the savings account.

9. jz1english

jz1english LawnSite Member

Thanks for all your feedback guys. This is great stuff!

10. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

hang around here long enough and youll learn everything you need to