1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

show me the money

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by B.B. CHUCK, Feb 7, 2007.

1. B.B. CHUCK

B.B. CHUCK LawnSite Member
    from stl

I am starting in business this spring. It seems alot of posts on here refer to 30,000 a year as being very hard to attain.I i just don't understand how anyone can manage on that little money. My goals are much higher than that. I would like to here from those who earn 80,000 to 100,000 net per year. I know it is possible. I know alot of you have wife's job and ins. to count on I am not in that situation though it would be nice lol.I would like ideas on growing a lawn business that can generate the 150,000 range. I am not scared of dedicating myself completely to the business. I would really appreciate any feed back you guys might have to offer. I currently earn well over 40,000 per year at my job. I want to make more with my own business Thank you in advance for any ideas you guys might have!
  2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome BB, if you make this your full time job you will easily make over $40k the first year. It all depends on how you market. Make sure you get good equipment too. 80-100k is definatley possible but you may have to wait till the second or third year to net that. What part of STL are you going to work? I work St. Charles County.
  3. Brick One Lawns

Brick One Lawns LawnSite Member

This will be my first full year in the industry. I'm hoping to just reach a clientel base of 35 accounts. Whatever that yields is bound to be good. I started last october and have set up a lot of scheduled appointments to meet this spring and have locked in 5 accounts so far. I haven't been giving it my all just yet but this month i'm really cracking down on selling accounts. All residential with some commercial on the side.
  4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I have been in this business a very long time and have seen alot in that time. You say you want to make $100,000 net? Yeah that is possible but you will not be able to do it yourself and your expenses will go alot higher than I think your figuring on. Like I said I have been in this industry a very long time and have been where you want to be but to net $100,000 your going to need more than $150,000 gross. I would think somewhere in the $225,000 Gross to net $100,000 if not more. Remember the bigger you get the more you pay for everything, labor, insurance, fuel, uniforms, equipment, repairs, worker comp, and taxes. Have you ever had to pay the AMT? For a $100,000 income thats $22,000 in taxes just something for you to think about.
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

most new companies dont make ANY money the first couple of years... yes its true... you get alot of success stories here, but are they real... most are not.....
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Keep your present job ..........
  7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

:) :) :) :)
  8. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

my reason for aiming at 30k for me is bc i bring home about 25 at full time job. im 26 about to have a boy. adopting from anther country. do what you love right? well i have the oppertunity to get the heck out of the warehouse and on RIDE till the wheels fall off...lol
  9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Look at it this way, examine your gross is per year then add about fifty percent to cover unanticpiated overhead and your net just may be comparable.
    I have been at this for a while and I am approaching $100K income per year.
    However, I employee many people, have many large commercial and high end residential customers and gross over $400K per year.
    There is something to be said for a known income vs a risk, although without ever taking the risk how can you figure your reward?
    Only you can decide.
  10. B.B. CHUCK

B.B. CHUCK LawnSite Member
    from stl

:jester: Thanks for your input guys. I appreciate it. I will stick with my union job until I am well established, hope fully not much longer than2 years. I understand my gross will have to be very high to achieve a net of 80,000 to 100,000. I also have learned quit a bit about running a very tight operating budget thanks to previous employer. I would like some input on advertising systems that anyone has been having success with in the Midwest. I plan on servicing Jefferson,Franklin,and South STL. Thanks again for your input!