Show me the numbers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Little Guy, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Little Guy

Little Guy LawnSite Member

20 lawns a day at $35.00 each X 5 days a week = $3500.00

X 35 weeks or cuts + $122,500 I would like to see that happen with a 2 man crew. I have yet to meet the guys with that much endurance and good luck.

It may be possible, buy I doubt it, Myself!:nono:
  2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't see you doing 20 lawns a day with a 2 man crew unless they are fairly small yards. JMO.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

And I can't see you getting 35 cuts on RI.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Those calculator games never do work out in real life.
  5. Little Guy

This is not my situation it was suppose to be a reply to another post. I don't see any crew making that much with 35 cuts
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I have done 8 in one day, but they were of varying sizes and that was by myself. I could have done probably 12 of them if they were all the size of the smallest one (which takes 17 minutes including getting in and out of the vehicle). But that one was $25. I couldn’t do more than 6 or 7 $35 in one day by myself. So if you doubled those figures, you could do anywhere from 12-24 lawns a day with two men if they were $35-25 lawns. I have a minimum of $25 and that is for a lawn that, if in town (no extra driving) will take upto 25 minutes. The $35 ones would take 30-35 minutes, sometimes close to 40 minutes. So, IN MY AREA you probably could not do 20 $35 lawns in a day with two men, unless you had the most efficient machines possible for those props, fast employee, little drive time, a long day and little rest time, short lunch, etc. But yeah I think 20 $25 lawns here is pheasible in an average day. I’ve heard of guys elsewhere getting $35 for jobs similar to my $25 ones so I suppose it depends largely on your local economy.

Two employees could do a lawn like I mentioned above in 10 minutes no sweat, in and out of the vehicle. If you had 20 of these spaced 5 minutes apart, that’s 15 minutes per stop with drive time for each job, times 20 = 300 minutes (not counting rests, refueling, restringing trimmer, etc.) which is only 5 hours worth. Easy enough right?

In my area, a $35 lawn could probably be done in 15-20 minutes, say 23 minutes each after travel time and all for an average. 20 of those would take 460 minutes, which is 7.6 hours of work only time, again no breaks or stops.

So, by the numbers it’s very possible to do this, depending on how late you want to work I guess. Again I think it all comes down to how long a $35 lawn takes you ;)
  7. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Hey little guy I do 30 accounts on a Monday by myself. We cut about 36 times per year. Out of the 30 4 are small condos. I do 25 on tuesday and 12 one that takes 4.5 hours on Wed. It is not impossible or hard if route is right to do 35 in one day five days a week and get finished by 3 pm. Now doing the pruning too is a different situation.
  8. Little Guy

What is the average price per lawn and what size are they?

No one in New England can generate $122,500 with a 2 man crew in a cutting season at $35.00 a lawn.

Maybe Florida or some place with an extended season. But still,
    I find it hard to believe.
  9. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

How many lawns can be done in a day is irrelevant to the bottom line. I have my lawns spread way out, but that is the nature of the beast for the time being I'm not taking anymore unless they are in my area. That being said I can and have done 12 solo and these are anywhere from 1/2 acre to little over 1 acre. What I think should be looked at is, how much is each man bringing in each day? One man should be at least $300.00 a day 2 should be at $450.00 to $550.00 probably closer to $550.00 for the minimum. The key to getting the bottom line up where one wants it is not necessarily more lawns but, better paying lawns. I would rather do 20 lawns at $100.00 per lawn than, 100 lawns at $20.00. Too many variables to consider to say it can't or it can be done.
  10. Little Guy

What I am saying is that 2 men in a cutting crew are "NOT" going to to generate $122,500 with 35 weeks of cutting NO WAY!
    :blob3: :nono: