Show your list of services offered

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smitty58, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I want to add a new service to my list ,but I would like to make a wise choice on what to add. I don't want to buy new equipment if it is'nt going to give me a good return on my investment. So I wondering what all do you offer? Just mow? and if so what would you like to add to your list.
    So far my list is:
    mowing, mulch, pruning, snow plowing, pavers, retaining walls, deck and fence building.

I think the more you have to offer the better ,provided what you offer you do well. I was thinking of adding hydroseeding or bush hogging or both. What kind of money can you make doing bush hogging? What do you need to buy to do it?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

lawn maintenance
    edging
    prune of trees/shrubs
    lawn fertilization
    aeration
    dethatching
    spring clean up
    fall clean up
    snow removal
    salting
    landscaping maintenance (prune shrubs, weeding, etc)
    consultation
    small landscaping installation
    small tree removal & shrub removal
    ......I can't think of any more right now
    did tree fertilization this year, hated it

3. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Ever heard the saying "jack of all trades, master of none"?

That is what comes to mind when I see lawn boys that offer services outside the realm of typical lawn maintenance. Makes me think they really aren't too good at all this other stuff or they'd have enough business building sheds or whatever that they wouldn't need to be cutting grass. This might be a completely erroneous assumption, but it's just my opinion. Also I think it projects the image that you're a little on the desperate side and will do anything for a buck.

Maybe I'm dead wrong about this, and these guys do excellent work, but if I were a homeowner and wanted a deck built, I would call a carpenter, not a lawn jockey.

Please don't take this personally, it is just intended to be constructive criticism.

4. lafrance4078

lafrance4078 LawnSite Member

I am considering hydro seeding. The equipment is not that cost intensive. My problem, is that I don't have a chem app lic. Not sure if that is going to slow things down or not, I am checking into it. THe bush hogging would be a good service in my local area. However, it will require a tractor and a bushhog. Since you will need to get the tractor to the job site, you will need a good size trailer. I used to work on a farm, and whenever we needed to get the tractor a long distance, we had to use the goose neck trailer. I think that you could prob use a regular 2 axel trailer, but not if you will be trailering it a lot. Just my .02

5. Smitty58

Well Rick, I'm not a lawn jockey. I built homes and remodeled for years before getting into lawn care. I know what I'm doing.

6. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I knew somebody was going to get bent out of shape! And here I thought I had put enough disclaimers in there...

Like I said, I'm not doubting you do quality work, I just thought I would present the perspective of a homeowner who typically holds a low opinion the guy that comes and cuts their grass.

7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Maybe add a fert. program. Need a spreader so not much extra equip involved, very quick to do. Guys on the board seem to be getting a good return on their programs from some of the prices they post.

8. Smitty58

lafrance4078 - thanks I'm considering hydroseeding as well. I did a couple of rough mowing jobs this year and it got me thinking about bush hogging. I've seen some nice small tractors that would not require a huge trailer and could probably come in handy for other things like landscaping. I would like to talk to someone with a small tractor setup to hear how well they work.

9. Smitty58

out4now - I wanted to add fert last year but the insurance for it is pretty high (at least with my agent it is) ,so I held off on that. That is one I'm considering though ,I did buy a lesco spreader last year for fert.

10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

mow, edge, weed eat, blow
    ornamental trimming
    Tree lifting and trimming
    Sodding
    Landscape installs
    french drain installation
    yard clean ups
    lawn fertilization
    sub out stump grinding to a friend
    overseeding
    ornamental and tree fertilization
    mulching

If it has to do with plants I try to do it (within reason) If it doesn't involve plants I try to avoid them.