Showboat LCO's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BRIAN GALLO, Jan 6, 2002.

1. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, do any of you have what I like to call "showboat lco's" in your areas? I'm thinking about spring already, and how every year at least 2 or 3 of these guys show up around here. It could be a young or older man, shiny new dump truck, new 12' trailer with all new spotless equipment, usually have between 5 to 15 accounts and charge lower than me (I try to talk to them). I think either these guys took the plunge all at once and decided to do lawn service, or they won some kind of giveaway or something! I don't mean to wish bad luck on anyone, but usually I don't see these guys the next season??? Maybe they decide that lawn service wasn't for them? :confused:

2. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I see them too, as I get around in my 11 year old truck. I think it is people with no limit left on the credit cards and a second mortage on the house. Nice, new diesel trucks, new trailers and equipment, and custom paint on most of it. I agree, I don't usually see them the next year.

Kevin

3. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

See about 3-4 new guys like this,alot of money in the hole to begin with is scary.Could have rich parents who knows.:eek:

4. Now what's wrong with upholding a pristine image?

5. lawncare

lawncare LawnSite Member

I like them kind that way you get to browse the newspaper and load up on good equipment without the good price attached to them.:blob3: Showboats Rules:D

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Showroom floor look is great. On the showroom that is. hummm, maybe I'll go wax the lazer and armour all the tires. ;)

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I know a guy that waxes his Murray big wheels every other week. I wish I cared that much about look. I hose my stuff off every few weeks and a good scrubbing at the end of the season and that is about it.

MATT

8. luv of green

luv of green LawnSite Member

APPEARANCE DOESNT MEAN YOU CANT CUT GRASS WITH THE BEST.

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

theres a couple of em here on the forum. You know, cut grass part time, always posting pics of their latest and greatest, and its quite obvious if they had to count on that equipment and support vehicles to earn a living, it wouldnt happen.

10. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

we have people like that occasionally around here. usually, they are folks who have retired from their job, and are receiving their pension retiremnt income. they usually tend to last between two and four years. then they realize one of three things: A. not making much money
    B. dont enjoy the work
    C. realize its harder work than originally perceived to be. (IE: working sunrise to sunset sucks-LOL)
    i pay no mind to them they are here today, and gone tomorrow.