1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Showdown: Teflon Tape vs. Rector Seal

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Kiril, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Which do you use and why? (If Rector Seal which product)
    How long have you been using it?
    Observed failure rate?

I've always used Teflon tape. I have never been real comfortable with any of the setting liquid based products. I've been using tape for at least 15 years and never seen it fail once a good seal is established.

I was looking at some of the Rector Seal products today. The "T plus 2" and "no. 100 virgin" look to be good products as they are non-setting. Is it time to try something new, I don't know.
  2. I use rectorseal on metal to metal or pvc to metal. Teflon on pvc to pvc. I use the appropriate size teflon. We stock 1", 3/4" and 1/2" on our trucks.

Right now my sealant is Blue Magic by Whitlam. Don't know why just is.
  3. Teflon puts too much pressure on pvc FA in my opinion.
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

teflon tape, and I don't count the wraps - eyeball it

I do have some permatex white sealant paste - something like the stuff that seals ball valves to backflow preventers

Never used Rector Seal - sounds like something I'd need to take in the event I'd eaten too many potato chips cooked in Olestra
  5. When I do water meter taps we use paste on metal to metal connections all other connections get tape.
    I have seen paste used on PVC and it leaks a lot.
    With the pressure we have it really puts it to the test.
  6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We use Teflon tape and "rector seal" #5 depending on joint. Sometimes we'll even use both of them on real tricky large joints.
  7. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

I use tape almost exclusively. the only time i dope is with brass/copper fittings over 1.5", where i usually use both.

I don't have much faith in dope, although improperly taped fittings are just as bad. so i would imagine both are fine.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

sch 40 FPT fittings - boo, hiss (except for mating with nylon-body zone valves like Toros)
  9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Teflon tape here, with a dab of silicon to help lube the threads.

I've never had a leak on a fitting using tape. The trick is to not over tighten them.

I've used tape on 1/2" PCV up to 4" Galvinized/ Brass and PVC and never had any issues.
  10. It just occured to me Kiril. This isn't for the ball valves at your house is it? I noticed you took a boring topic and give it an exciting thread title. You learn fast.