Showing employee on how to trim right....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, Apr 23, 2001.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I have a new guy that is slow on learning how to trim....he has caught on to the ztr ok..but is awful on the trimmer...any suggestions???

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

what exactly is he doing that is bad? the advice that 65hoss gave me was to keep both of my arms straight so the head of the trimmer is level. that gives a clean across trim and prevents one side from digging in. i am sure others will have some good ideas too.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The best way to teach is by example. You'll just have to show him. Teach him how to plan out a pattern first- starting point and finishing point. What direction to go, counterclockwise around the islands of grass, clockwise around trees and objects, etc. first. You may even want to draw this out on paper using a few different yard layouts, then see if he understands it by asking HIM where he would start and finish. This is of course reviewed again out in the field as well. THEN work on the technique - tapering, feathering, etc. I wrote an extensive post on this once, that's somewhere in here. I mentioned the words "trimming 101", so if you or someone would like to do a search and bring a link to this one up, I think it would be useful. I would do it, but I don't know how you guys post your search results links in the reply.

4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe buy him his own trimmer so he will take pride in his new equipment and work. I would go with a 25 cc minimum (commercial) trimmer.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Maybe he isn't good at it since he might not like doing trimming. I would have him walk along with you and have him watch exactly how you do it. Then half way through the trimming, hand it to him and have him try it. If he messes up, show him again til he gets it down pat. Good Luck :)

6. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I will try those tips..he is left handed..do you think this is causing a problem?

7. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

actually that may even be better for him since he is a lefty, won't have to walk backwards when trimming. are you right handed? may make showing him a little harder.

8. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

Practice, practice, practice.
    Bill Craig

9. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I've only had like one or two guys that where acually efficiant at trimming, they all figure out how to use the trimmer ok. Theses guys sit there and waste time trimming tree lines agianst the woods that your about to hit with the mower but all the grass near the house or in the middle of the lawn is still there, it gets sooo aggravating, and no matter how many times you tell them, show them, beat them, they still don't get it. ok I'm done.

10. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i think eggy's trimming school sounds good, practice with him, work with him on a yard where it wont loose u money if a mess up here and there (your own? his)