shread and vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by llama, Dec 19, 2003.

1. llama

llama LawnSite Member

has anyone used one of the shread and vacs. I saw one by Echo and was interested. Any feedback?

2. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

If you are talking about echo's $100 unit, they are homeowner type machines.

I would not use one for commercial applications.

3. llama

llama LawnSite Member

This one was for $249.99 at the local small engine store

4. mowman40

mowman40 LawnSite Member

i use a billy goat and find it to work very good. only draw back is u get down in the middle of the dust cloud to empty the bag. it shreds up leaves very will.

5. llama

llama LawnSite Member

where did you buy your billygoat?
    Do you look like Pigpen in "Peanuts" when you empty the bag?

6. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

I would also be interested in hearing about experiences with a shredder-vac. I'm talking about a commercial-quality handheld blower which can also be used as a vacuum that shreds leaves as it picks then up and accumulates tham into a small bag. I think Echo makes these for around $250 and probably there are others available.

I use a handheld Echo blower and when I bought it I almost bought the shredder vac instead, but the mechanic at the shop told me that they wear out faster than a regular blower.

I hope to someday also get a backpack blower. I can see how this would speed up some of the leaf cleanups I've been doing.

The Billy Goat is a whole different deal. Kind of like an upright vacuum cleaner which is pushed over the lawn to pick up leaves. I have not used one, but I think they can commonly be rented. I think they sell for around $800.00. They have quite a bit more capacity to hold shredded leaves than the hand-held machines. I would love to have a Billy Goat someday also.

Anyway, anyone have anything to say about handheld shredder-vacs. I've been thinking about getting one. Seems like it would double as a blower or a backup for a blower. I know that a lot of leaves can be turned into a small pile of dust but the bags I've seen on these seem really small.

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I had the shred and vacuum attachment for my Echo hand held blower. It did a good job, however the bag got filled up real quick and the dust from the bag was right in front of you. I sold it and wouldn't get another.

8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I had considered one of these in the past primarily to suck up leaves from difficult flowerbeds. Commercially speaking, I cant think of any other reason to have one.

9. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Pool surounds and as ya said mate "Dificult flower beds"

I also used mine resently to suck up debris arfter edging on a busy road so I did'nt have to walk on the road.

The most use mine gets is pool surounds...............Great for that purpose! I have a Sthill though.........More power than the Echo when I bought mine. If ya get one...........Get somthing with a bita balls!

10. Northwest

Northwest LawnSite Member

Don't buy one, waste of money. I have the echo, worst $249.00 I spent. It would be okay for Joe homeowner who has all day to pick up some leaves but I found out a rake and a trash can are ten times as fast.