1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

shred n' vac blowers - are they worth anything?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by joea27, Dec 1, 2006.

1. joea27

joea27 LawnSite Member

i was looking at the echo es 230. i wanted to know if it was worth buying. i thought it might not be such a bad investment because i could use it to help with leaf removal in the fall and during the summer i could also use it as a blower but i didnt know how dependable or durable it was. anyone know?
  2. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

save your money...
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have that one...IMO go buy some lottery tickets instead. You'll get better odds.
  4. joea27

joea27 LawnSite Member

alright ill but something else. thanks alot.
  5. seacoastlandscape

seacoastlandscape LawnSite Member

biggest waist of money ive ever spent, what a pice of crap it sits in my shop collecting dust
  6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I through one away last week that had about an hour on it.I needed the carb for my pole saw.
  7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Ryobi blower/vacuum and its total waste of money. It takes longer to use the ryobi on the leafs then using a rake and tarp.
  8. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have the Stihl 85 SH. What a disappointment. Each gum ball brings it to a stop, where in the world did the designers test this model?

9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I also have the SH85.

Aside from using it to suck up dirt after a sidewalk edge, I only use it as a blower.

Worthless for picking up leaves.
  10. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

They must have tested it in AZ it is great for the right applications. We have Bougainvillea petals here which are like crepe paper. When you blow them they float up into the air and it is any bodys guess where they come down at. They usually collect in a corner or under a shrub, the vac's make them easy to pick up. There are also Dwarf Ruellea that after the bloom fades to a brown they stay on the plant for a long time and are unsightly. If you run the vacuum over them it sucks off the dead blooms and leaves the live ones. There are other uses but it is definitely detail oriented work. We have the Stihl and used to use the electric Brush Hog from H/D but they ony lasted about a month, but they have just the right amount of suction. Too much and it picks up the rocks.