shred 'n vac for customer cleanup?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncuttinfoo, Jul 18, 2006.

1. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer who wants the galls, from a removed green ash, taken up from her lawn. There are quite a few and a bit embeded into the turf. Would a shred n vac work to clean this up?

which leads to the next questions:

I do not plan on using the vac much, but in addition to this project I have had it with corners and tight spaces during fall clean up I can't stand blowing into a corner 50% comes out and 50% goes straight up into the air then you have to wait till they settle back down to where I was were blowing only for me to repeat this at least 5 times and there is still a few leaves left.

I was also hoping a shred n vac might also help with getting leaves from mulch.

I was thinking about the echo es-210 or es-230 possibly. Do these stand up ok to rocks?

If not the echos, does anyone know of a reliable modertly priced $200-300 non-homeowner shred n vac?

gaul.JPG

2. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

We were not particularly impressed w the echos shred & vac. (NOT BASHING) They seemed to lack power and they would become clogged easily among other things. LOVE their backpack blowers. We broke down and bought a Trac Vac.

3. lawncuttinfoo

I have a trac vac 190 collecting dust in my shop, ( see for sale forum) No way it would pick these up.

What do people use to pick leaves out of mulch? blowing just makes a mess and covers 1/2 the leaves.

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

We use the shred and vac's a lot. Bouginvilla bracs are like crepe paper the vac works great on them. They will pick up leaves in bark but they will suck up the mulch. We are using the Stihl I don't know the model # but it is a convertible from hand held blower to vac but we only use the vac part. Its ok except the bags only last about 3-4 months for us before it tears. I should learn how to repair them but I just keep buying new. I really liked the electric bush hog that B&D makes but they increased the power and now they suck up rocks too, but for 70 bucks they lasted 4-6 months and I could vac into a trash barrel with an after market attachment.

I don't think they will pick up those galls though, and if they did they would trash the impeller. I would get out the 9-Iron and aim for the buckets.

5. lawncuttinfoo

^edit trac vac 470 I have^

6. lawncuttinfoo

are most shred n vacs plastic impellers? I can't find specs on any that say metal or plastic.

7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Stihl with the metal blades. It will clog up galls.

8. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

The Echo ES-230 has a ton of power with metal shredder blades and they work great.

I'm not sure how they would work on the galls however....

9. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Im the same way...my Echo Shred N Vac is unimpressive to say the least---decent blower but thats about it.

10. lawncuttinfoo

How about a lawn sweeper? would an agri-fab lawn sweeper work for these galls?