1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Shrouded sprayers on a Grass hopper?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rayholio, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

There are at least a couple of these out there... one is Pro Lawn, and the other is called windfoil I believe..

I'm seriously considering buying one of these.

Does anyone have any experience with these??? everything I've heard is theoretical.. such as driving over spray as you spray it could concentrate chemical in areas, ect.

If you have purchased, or demoed one of these, I'm VERY interested in hearing your review.

http://www.prolawnsprayshields.com/product/product.html <--- URL for what I'm referring to.. specificly the front mount grasshopper one.

Thanks in advance!
  2. ToniDavies

ToniDavies LawnSite Member

The other one is called a Windfoil. This link will take you to the manufacturers website www.rogerssprayers.com
  3. Rayholio

Yea.. I called the manufactuters of both, and it seems that the ProLawn is the superior unit.. I just wonder about the tracking issue
  4. sprayman73703

sprayman73703 LawnSite Member

I've had mine for three years now and have covered about 700 acres with it total. It has been a awesome machine. Absolutely no drift gets out and it is built for rugged use. The thing I don't like about the rogers sprayer is there is too much of the canvas curtain. That curtain will break down from exposure to the chemical. That has happened to my prolawn but it is not as big a problem with the prolawn because it is such a small part of the shields. The curtains are not expensive and easily replaceable and have survived three years for me. As for tracking the chemical, it has not had an effect on any of my work but it does mean you have to watch where you drive. So if you are spraying a dormant bermuda lawn next to a fescue lawn don 't track on to the fescue cause it will carry it. I Love this sprayer!!!!! If you have any other questions feel free to message me and would be glad to help. Good Luck!
  5. Rayholio

Excellent! :) I do have a couple questions for you.. Look for my PMs :)
  6. Rayholio

Crud.. says that I don't have sufficiant privilages to PM you.. that's cool.. I'll just ask here...

I've seen a few of your messages from a while back.. and you still do everything with only spray right?

Do you have any need for the ole hose and tank on a truck?

How does the liquid fertilizer work?, Has there been any problem with overlapping, or underlapping passes in terms of it being noticable? (Stripes)

have you utilized one of the seeders that attaches on the front? if so.. how's that?

on the grasshopper.. what are your reccomendations? I'm looking at a 721D. +G2. think I need the deck lift kit? weight kit?

I know it's a lot of questions, but it's a major investment, and I want to make sure I don't buy the wrong tools, or try to use them in the wrong ways :)

I appriciate your help very much.

7. Rayholio

one more question.. can you effectively treat for grubs with this? or army worms? I did a treatment a couple years back with a backpack sprayer, and it was inveffective, appearantly due to the low volume of water applied with the pesticide.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i looked at these macnines and bought a perma green instead due to hilly terain i work on
    i really do like the no drift idea though
  9. sprayman73703

sprayman73703 LawnSite Member

Hey Ray, you can replace the hose and big tank setup with this as long as you are spraying areas that are big enough. If the yard is too cluttered with yard junk it is too hard to cover it with out a considerable amount of overlap. If I got this machine I would forget the liquid fert. and go with the pellets and get the spreader attachment for the front. I don't Have it yet but I have been around one and it is great. It spreads while you spray and pellets are cheaper than liquid. Plus your insurance should be cheaper with the Prolawn because you only have 30 gallons of solution at a time which is cheaper that a 200 or 500 gallons because of the lower risk of a major spill. As far as the grub control you can make it put on higher application rates simply by slowing you ground speed down. At roughly 5 mph you are applying 15gallons per acre. I would not get a diesel tractor. It is too much. I have a 718 with a briggs engine and it is plenty. I would get the tractor tread tires though it helps with slippage and they really aren't hard on the turf. I would however stay with the 700 series or higher, the residential models really aren't made for the commercial usage, and you could have some hydro issues. I would'nt get the weight, but I would get the walking beam kit for the back wheels to make the ride better, I wish I had. The deck kit only affects the deck the sprayer has no height adjustment except for some wheel adjustments but you really don't need to adjust the height. I can go from 12" high grass to a lawn and it has very little effect. I know a great dealer that has guite abit of experience that can help you out he is a great guy. I have a couple of other things and some items I added myself that helped also if you are interested. Just let me know, I am glad to help! Brent
  10. Rayholio

Sure! I appriciate it! I think I read in one of your old posts that you made a foam marker for the sprayer.. I'd be interested in hearing about that, and any other mods that make it more efficiant, or better.

oneof the dealers told me that I could weld on a couple tabs to use the deck lift option.. don't know if it would be usefull though..

Which dealer were you going to recommend? I was looking at on in northern Oklahoma