Shrub and Bush trimming Pricing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BOTURF, Nov 4, 2001.

1. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

What or how do most of you guys charge for shrubbery trimming.I charge $35.00 to $40.00 a hr per man for this service and wondered if i was in line price wise. Commercial accounts get charged a little higher price tho than res accounts

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Boturf

Wished I could get that much per man hr. My $25 to $30 is low but in my area I am high. Everybody's market is a little different as is the cost of living. LOL

3. Three Seasons

Three Seasons LawnSite Member

From my experiences we started to charge by the bush or shrub we are sitting some were between $10-25/ bush or shrub for us its the fairest way to do this.

4. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

I get $50 an hour for trimming. You figure you have a hedge trimmer that costs around $400(atleast i do Redmax, would go cheaper next time) and IM worth 25/hour by myself so ad in 25 for the machine also. Then you have to factor in the nice expensive truck that got you there so on so forth. Or bid them out individually. Remember bid em high and tell them theyre getting a deal.

5. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

You charge as much as you can get, as long as you are making a profit. Naturally you need to factor in your overhead before you know if your making a profit!!

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I look at the amount and what needs to be done, how bad they are and so forth. I guesstimate my time and then give them a total price. I know what I need per hour and want per hour. They don't need to know that number. I have found that not giving hourly prices is better for me and my area. Sometimes people think you may charge too much giving hourly figures. They have no clue what it takes to pay ones bills in this business. They act as though $50 or $60 per hour goes right into my pocket, not!

7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been getting $35.00 per hour here in W Central FL and haven't been getting any complains. Given the fact that the tightest people on the planet live here I'm thinking of raising prices to $40. If they aren't moaning about the price, then it's too low. Rule of thumb for being in business: "when in doubt, overcharge"

8. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

This year I'm at 30-35 per hr and that works better for me and my customers for now. Next year I'm going up to 35-40 per hr. But I think my current customers will stay locked in to 30 for a while.

9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

If your basic hourly rate were the $35, here is how I would have charged for the job on an hourly rate.

For you to shear the shrubs I would have charged $35/hr. For you to shear the shrubs if you have to use a ladder, I would charge $40/hr. For your laborer to clean-up after you as you shear, I would charge $25/hr.

The obvious factor for us is the more dangerous/precise the work the higher the rate. When we bill for the laborers to do clean-up work we wont charge clients the same rates we do for operating machinery/equipment. This is only fair in my mind.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

10. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Randy I totally agree with you. The customer does not need to know what our hourly wage is. They will usually freak out. I like to make around 50-60/hr but it does depend on the machinery being used.