shrub/hedge recomendation

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by KINGSBURYLANDSCAPELLC, Jul 8, 2007.

1. KINGSBURYLANDSCAPELLC

KINGSBURYLANDSCAPELLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone know of a good shrub for shade- partial sun, sandy soil, zone 4-5, that will work as a hedge? A child lives at the residence so unfortunatly roses or anything with sharp thorns isn't an option.

2. bbpropmaint

bbpropmaint LawnSite Member

how about a traditional boxwood?? also evergreen..first thing that comes to mind for me

3. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

If by "good", you mean hardy, my experience with boxwood has certainly been that. Virtually indestructable, it seems to me. At the time I bought my current home in 1985, it was already 18 or 19 years old, and the original owner had planted a boxwood that was never trimmed and therefore overgrown when I took over. I wrapped a chain around it and yanked it out of the ground with my pickup. I was going to take it down to the dump, but instead I chain-sawed the top off of what was left after pulling it out of the ground and then used an ax to divide the roots into three and planted them a couple of feet apart along the side of the house. All three grew and merged together, and today it's a 9-foot wide hedge. It grows so vigorously every year that it's hard to keep it trimmed. I'll send you a photo if you want to see it.

4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

just a quick question. how are you a certified landscape designer and not know what shrubs to put it?

5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

No kidding, it does raise an eyebrow.

6. KINGSBURYLANDSCAPELLC

Just because im a certified designer doesnt mean I have first hand expierience with all plants in all conditions. Its always nice to have a few other suggestions on maybe a plant thats more hardy that someone has had first hand expierience with. Or perhaps a plant that I wouldn't normally consider. Thats why generally most landscape designers work in teams, a suggestion of something different could open up a whole new range of possibilities.

7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Try Prunus laurocerasus 'schipkaensis', skip laurel. Or rhodo maximums, or I have even used Taxus in dry, part shade conditions. Let us know what you decide on.

8. KINGSBURYLANDSCAPELLC

ended up with mountain laurel and on the ends some bugbane for a little something diffrent. Thanks!