shrub I.D.

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by bare spot, May 23, 2010.

1. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

anyone know what this is? first time i believe i've come across one or taken good notice, nice looking plant and would be good to know. only have this pic to work with as battery was dead, when i was on the property.

DSC00335.jpg

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

It's an acuba. Stays green all winter. Roy

3. bare spot

roy, thanks. been looking through some books i got here the picture in one of the books, acuba jaonica (spotted laurel, not related), was the one that most closely resembled it. didn't know they hold their leaves, from reading bout it, sounds like it's a pretty versital plant. as for pruning, the ones i been trying to id are on a new account, as for pruning, looks like they been done with shears (trimmer), there forgiving but not sure if that's the way to go though. anyway, thanks, need to read up on it, a good looking plant.

4. gunsnroses

gunsnroses LawnSite Senior Member

salix_inset1.jpg

looks like it could be Dappled Hakura Nishiki willow

salix_inset1.jpg

5. bare spot

does, looks just like it. got quite a name but leaves (color w/opposite), brownish red stem look the same. gonna read on this, thanks

6. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Could be the leaf in the photo on the left side appears to have scale insects. This sways me to think it could be in the Euonymus species. It could be something in the Silver king name as I don't see this variety in our nurseries anymore because of the scale problems as the Golden euonymus.

7. bare spot

so today i'm at this one yd, what do notice, same plant. hve been at this place for over 5 yrs now and now i notice it. although they let this one grow out (way bigger) and doesn't have the redish stems and deeper green leaves as the other ones, with are cut like shrubs do.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  8. kemco

kemco LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that although acuba looks very similar, I'm, pretty sure it is not. The leaves on acuba are generally much larger (from what I can tell in the photo) and the stem systems look completely different than anything I have seen on acuba. I have quite a bit of acuba at my own home. gunsnroses I think has it right.

9. hoylebros

hoylebros LawnSite Member

From the picture it's pretty hard to tell. My first thought was Elaeagnus of some sort. Are the the leaves silver on the backside?

10. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I found an Acuba on one of the properties. It has green stems with leaf pattern more of a rosette. This plant (above photo) has red stems and leaves grow more like a lilly. Gunsnroses is more right as a Dappled Hakura Willow.