shrub I.D.

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by bare spot, May 23, 2010.

1. a plus bob

a plus bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

That is a dappled willow.They are not evergreen.The newer stems are red then turn brown.It can be a tree (on a standard) or a shrub.

2. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

the ones cut like a shrub have the red stems, the ones in the other yard don't. will post up some pic's next time i get to these yds, post up the differest looks. think (if i remember from what i read) the red is on the new growth, gotta re-check that.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  3. bare spot

or just re-read bobs post (on the red stems).

4. bare spot

thought i'd take a minute today and get some pic's of the dappled willow. these were in the other yd and growing out do look dif. from the ones i couldn't id. anyway just never put it together that they were the same plant. btw wanted to get pic's of the other but not gonna happen, homeowner rip them out. he did mention to me that he didn't like so guess he finally had enough of them..

5. bare spot

forgot the pic

DSC00338-1.jpg

DSC00337-1.jpg

DSC00341-1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  6. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

'Nishiki' willow gets my vote.

7. bare spot

old post but wanted to bring it back for a followup question i had, hope somebody spots it. just read something about being able to cut back these shrubs to about 15 inches, even ground level think i saw. so had to ask does that sound right and being able to whack this shrub back like this (one a year). it mentioned to do this will help maintain shrub height and branch appearance i believe. from the ones i have seen in customers yds, they do grow fast, so seams to make sense, just never did this.

8. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

You CAN prune them pretty hard, but to the ground would probably be bad (long-term) for the shrub if done on an annual basis. Depends on the surrounding area; competition from other plantings, lawn, etc.. I prune mine every Spring by cutting outa half dozen of the largest stems about 6" above ground and then selectively prune the whips to keep the shape I want.

9. bare spot

sounds like it can or could get very dense and fill in (with the new growth) . anyway, kate, thanks.

10. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

my first thought was nishiki willow. those plants grow very fast. the 2nd picture posted was a good one of it. it doesn't look anything like acuba to me