Shrub Install

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Vandora Lawn & Landscape, Jul 30, 2001.

1. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Just wanted to see if you guys think my pricing for shrubs install is fair. 2 x whole sale cost, plus labor. Sound reasonable?

2. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, when the homeowner calls and says two of my beloved shrubs died, and you have to run to the homeowners address and see which ones and if in fact they are going to be replaced, the run to the nurserie and get them replaced then go back and do the labor for two shrubs installed. Just a thought but i beleive you should factor replacement costs and labor for that in the original qoute. Wait a minute didnt i already tell you that? LOL Buddy Cya

3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I charge about 2.5 times the cost of wholesale installed. How can you exepect to charge enough that it equlas 2 times the cost of whole sale plus labor plus the cost to replace if if it so happens to die? A 200 dollar tree would be like 1,000. I know my customers would laugh at me.... if your dont... i want to move were you work Guntruck!

4. guntruck

NONONO Evan i dont mean it like that, exactly what you said sounds in the ballpark to me. The Two and a half times, i was just bringing it to his attention that that is something to keep in mind when giving the original estimate!! If you do two replacements at different times than you have made pretty much nothing on the job due to the time involved along with additional expenses. You know how you include depreciation costs in with your overhead? well kinda the same idea here is what i meant to convey, im sorry if i was unclear sometimes it doesnt come out as i mean it to. =)

:D

5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Ok Guys and Gals, how much do you really lose in a year? What % of installs die? I hear alot of what ifs and maybes, lets see some numbers!

6. guntruck

Hey Paul, i dont know if you've seen my recent post on the dwarf alberta spruces but 2 of the three are now dead. I dont do many installs but i guess what your gettin at is what percentage actually do overall? I dont have many die because i do take my time and install them properly. I was taught to think of the things that people usually dont and charge for it. If i have gone to a job two or three times for a client (which i really try to avoid at all costs, but sometimes necessary) i include all of my time for the consultations in the bid. I like to look at my time as valuable and get paid for every minute of it, i try anyway. I guess im just trying to be successful and looking at all angles is gonna help me to do that. Thank you

7. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, the truth is Rich just likes to swindle people. :) Just kidding buddy!

8. guntruck

Shhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! LOL

:blob1: :blob4: :blob3:

9. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

I was looking to see if anyone had any idea of how much plant material they lost in a year. We talk all the time of charging for overhead so knowing what you lose in a year should be important! We keep track of what we lose and figure it in to our overhead, the last 3 years have held close to 5% of our total volume( plant installs only) just wondering if I'm high or low?

10. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

I lose about 2%-3% of my plant material/year. 5% sounds kind of high, but not too excessive. I also use diehard transplant pacs, this may account for a lower mortality.

Jim L