Shrub Job Questions

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by glovelis, Feb 14, 2014.

1. glovelis

glovelis LawnSite Member

I have attached 5 pictures of a potential customer's shrubs. These shrubs have not been trimmed or maintained in any way since the house was built around 10 years ago. They are wanted them shaped up and cut to around 3' tall or just below the bottom of the window. I have been doing shrubs for awhile but never had to cut that much off to achieve satisfaction. How would you all go about doing this? Will it hurt the shrubs to take off that much all at once? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Barnes1.JPG

Barnes2.JPG

Barnes3.JPG

Barnes4.JPG

Barnes5.JPG

2. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Senior Member

Similar Job, My quote was $420 + $60 for grinding the Crepe Myrtles stumps. The shrub work and felling the Myrtles took 4hr. There was no haul off as the customer had a woods behind to dump the trimmings and the two trees. There had not been any trimming for several years. I warned them that it would look bad for awhile and possibly a couple of bushes would need to be replaced. I tarped the shrub cuttings and used my Steiner to drag the two big Myrtles into the woods. I offered a $100 discount if they contracted to let me service the property lawn care for 2014. They accepted.
    I also added
    "I will attempt to do this without any damage to the sprinkler system, If I damage heads or lines, I'll cover the 1st $25 in materials and one hour labor to make repairs." I had zero sprinkler damage :)!
    before
    [​IMG]
    after
    [​IMG]

3. naveslawncare

naveslawncare LawnSite Member

Wow that don't even look like the same house. Great job Sehitchman

4. 2 Cycle

2 Cycle LawnSite Senior Member

Damn dude nice job. Like already stated, seems like prepping them for some ugliness is the key, then have a chainsaw or pole chainsaw to be able to hit those heavy inner stalks that the hedge trimmer can't cut. Green barrel it all into the truck. Looks like a cool job, i like doing those
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Natural

Natural LawnSite Member

I agree. Looks great

6. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Senior Member

Good point, I used a small 14" chainsaw and bypass loppers with "twist and extend" handles to take the inner stalks down inside the bushes about 4". That way when the new growth starts, the gas hedge trimmer can be used for a quick hair cut. I've got a bunch of 5'X10' tarps for tight area clean ups. I also used the chainsaw, and hedge attachment extension on my cheap ryobi power head to reach up to 10' on a bush just to the left out of the picture. It works great if I need a backup and some of those specialty tools that are only used a few times per year. I think I have $400-$500 in the Ryobi power head, trimmer, tiller, hedge trimmer, edger, extension bar and brush head. All bought at the "Discount Tools" outlet. I love my pro grade trimmers and blowers, but for those little used specialty tools, the cheap stuff has really paid for itself. This is ball busting work and time spent tarping your trim area will really speed up the clean up. Also, in tight areas around the bushes, a handheld blower is more manageable and you can poke around in and behind. This was all pine straw mulched, left over clippings blend in well, if it was mulch, more clean up time needs to be planned on the bid. Also, use the blower to shake the bushes as stragglers will pop out and you'll need to go back after clean and rake to do a few trims here and there. I use my chainsaw chaps nearly all the time I'm hedge trimming. I caught my jeans last year and it sucked the hedge trimmer into my thigh, leaving a nasty pinch cut that seemed to take weeks to heal. This type of work can be done by anyone, just make sure you are up to the task and have the proper equipment or you'll be there a couple days and loose your profit.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  7. glovelis

glovelis LawnSite Member

A few "after" pics.

image.jpg

8. glovelis

glovelis LawnSite Member

After pic of job

image.jpg

9. glovelis

glovelis LawnSite Member

After pic of same job