shrub problems....see pictures

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Jul 7, 2007.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

tell me whats wrong and what to do?:hammerhead:

S4010044.jpg

S4010043.jpg

S4010041.jpg

S4010040.jpg

S4010039.jpg

2. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Ant,

The Arborvitae that has been recently planted, has been under some stress. Is is planted to deeply? The older inside growth will drop in the fall every year, and this can happen early from stress.

Let the "New Growth" tell you the health status of this plant. See that soil drains well after checking planting depth....If it's too low, raise it up in mid sept and keep on the 2-3X a week deep watering till rainy season OR Halloween.

The Birch photos aren't very good, but from the photo I will say Birch Leafminer. Look close for damaged/mined leaves. Merit soil drench annually will have you covered for this pest as well as Aphids.

Dogwood has Discula Anthracnose. Too late to treat this season, and it won't kill the tree. Leaves just look bad through the late spring/summer months.

2-3 Sprays in the Springto prevent. 1st spray @ Bud break, 2nd spray 2 weeks later, 3rd spray 2-3 weeks after 2nd spray. You can Rotate Banner and Tank mix of Eagle/Daconil.

Boxwood seemes to have a spider Web/Nest. No control is needed.

Happy Summer!

Pete D.

3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

thanks pete..
    ant

4. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

If I may add to Pete's, I would fert inject all the above with something llike arbor green (or whatever you are used to using). This will help deal with stress over the summer, and I can say you will see a growth jump after you use Arbor green. My wife won't let me use it our house any more, because the trees that were hit with it greww in a couple months over a foot.

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Go for health not growth this time of year. Biostimulants, iron etc. Feed in the spring and fall.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The Arb may be getting fried due to the black mulch soaking the heat and radiating it up.