Shrub Pruning

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mrk'sLawn, May 29, 2006.

1. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

How do you go about pricing for pruning for existing customers, (and just pruning.) I'm going to start doing trimming and don't know how to price accordingly. One of my better customers has about 10 or 12 bushes around his house and one dead one that needs to be taken out. Any help would be great thanks. He also has these nasty sticker like bushes I don't know what they are. If I take some pictures and post them maybe someone can help me identify them and help me with setting a price.. Thanks!

2. Mrk'sLawn

Here are some photos. Maybe in seeing them it will be easier to help with a price. Like I said, I never had to charge for shrubs..

3. Mrk'sLawn

By the time I added pictures.. I ran out of time to edit post.. Here they are. Any help would be great.

Lupo 002.jpg

Lupo 003.jpg

Lupo 004.jpg

Lupo 008.jpg

Lupo 009.jpg

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The photos didn't come up, but we just go by the size. It was first done by how long it would take for each one and total job, plus how much debris would be hauled out. Now, I can just walk around the house and add it up. It's fast and easy. I don't know about your area, but around here, it starts at about $4 for a standard 3 ft. globe taxus, and goes from there. As we start getting into something that i 5-6ft tall, we're closer to 10 bucks.Some species and sizes come in around 15-20 bucks. Hand pruning, lie for unipers, is of course a bit more time consumng, but you generally have much less material to handle with them. The time does outweigh that, though...so they run a bit more. Now, I HAV done specialty work before, where I have turned old srubs and junipers into a topiary looking thing, or rather a bonzai style. hese are extrememly time consuming, but onnce done, last and are relatively easy to keep up.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That would be about a buck fifty complete. Again, I don't the rates in you area, though.

6. Mrk'sLawn

That sounds about good to me. Thanks for taking the time to look at the photos. I'm in North New Jersey btw. This should help me base future prices a little bit better..

7. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

i might have to do some trimming myself. yours is easy compared to what i have to do. its been growing at least 5 years and havent been touched. some of the branches are roughting. it really needs to be done and ill put some pics on here to show you, and everybody else what i had to do.

8. Mrk'sLawn

I'd like to see what you have to do. Post some pics of before and after If you could..

9. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

yes i will its going to be at least a days work.

10. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

We charge by the man hour, with a disposal fee for the clippings.