Shrub removal.. HP or gear needed?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Canadian GreenScape, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

I advised the client who has the property below to remove the shrubs shown in the photo (Would anyone reccomend hacking them back instead of replacing them?) To remove them what would be the best method? I have a JD4100 but it dosent have enough HP to pull them out. What would work best if I were to rent a piece of equipment?

MMB Shrub.jpg

2. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

No good if you "hack" them back. They don't respond well to rejuvenation pruning.
    You will find the root system isn't that extensive.

Put on a long sleeve shirt, prune back the branches so you get a clear shot at it and go to town with a pick mattock

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

truck and chain or a bobcat with forks is what id go with.

4. Masonman

Masonman LawnSite Member

A couple of months ago I was just starting a hardscape job. All I had to excavate with was our Bobcat MT-52 or whatever its called. I was asked to pull out some Junipers, about 8 foot in diameter while I was there. There was about ten of them in a row. I used the old maddax for about 5 minutes at the first ones roots and then wrapped a chain around the base and the other end to the Bobcats bucket About 5 pulls backwards and the baby came out. Same with the other ones except I didnt have to dig at all, just pull-em. I think within a hour they were all out. Worked very nice for getting them out whole with very minimal mess.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I don't quite remember the HP on a 4100 but I don't think a tractor in low gear would have Too much trouble pulling these out, although I could be wrong without seeing the root sytem.

6. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Then again, your only around 20 horses?

7. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

No b.s...one amigo with a machete could get what's pictured there to ground level (or better) and piled in under and hour...your cost $8-9

I had a run of calls last year from people wanting to replace junipers that had gotten too big...I tried other methods and was surprised at how quickly it went with one guy on a machete. I think you'll find many of the roots come out quite easily. My .02

8. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

Juniper has a rather shallow root system. Out of all the shrubs we remove the juniper and cypress seem to be the easiest to come out. If they were yew bushes you would have your hands full!

9. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Ya, we pulled 4 yews out today...............good HEAVY chain and 4 wheel low..........LOL!

10. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

from a safety point of view wouldn't a strap be better than chain, you can get some strong stuff.