Shrub Removal (they looked at me like I was cazy)

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Watson's Landscaping, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Watson's Landscaping

Watson's Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I just went and looked at a lawn job and when I was in the back yard I saw that about six aborvites (spelling) were dead. when I was talking to the client about the lawn they brought up the dead shrubs, she said that they were a year old and she was going to return them for new ones, and wanted a price to rip them out and put the new one's in. $30 per shrub and she said (with a funny look) ok. when we were done talking she asked if $30 was the best i could do I said yes. Do you guys think that was to much. (I'll be doing all this with hand tools

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

How big were they??? If they were only a year old, and dead, they wouldn't have much root on them at all outside of the original ball. I'm sure they would pull out by hand, no tools at all, even if they were like 5 feet tall... Yes, $30 each would be a LOT for 15 minutes of work to yank them and toss then in your truck!

3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Jason, did you notice he is also planting the new ones?
    I would think $30 is a fair price if the digging is good. If it's hard or crappy soil then $30 won't be enough.

4. casco73

casco73 LawnSite Member

yeah i agree they might be easy to pull out but consider the time to put them in the right way the main reason they might have died could be how they where planted

5. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

are you buying the shrubs also! last time i checked a 4-5ft arb in mid-mich goes for about $25-35.

if you are just pulling the old ones out and putting the new ones in i would say that $15 to pull it out and $15 to put it in per shrub is a good price

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

AH! Well egg on my face there... That's what I get for looking on here after working all day, I just sat back and relaxed and failed to read well...

7. Watson's Landscaping

Watson's Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Thanks guys that makes me think that my price was good

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Doesn't really matter what we think, what did she think? Did you get the job?

9. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I had a very similar situation the other day,

I was at a customers house doing an est. for spring cleanup and mulching.
    they have a whole row of those abbreviates but 3 of them were totally dead.

She asked for a price and i said $50 a piece to pull them out. (no new plantings)

She said that seemed a little high since they were only about a year old and 5 - 6 feet tall. I took a closer look and realized they would be real easy to yank so i said $25 a shrub. Job sold, just need to wait for the snow to melt.

10. casco73

casco73 LawnSite Member

Maybe he got the job and it's taking him forever to remove them and he can't write back:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :cry: :cry: :dizzy: :dizzy: :confused: :confused: :confused: :nono: :nono: :nono: :walking: :walking: :walking: :walking: :waving: