Shrub Suggestions

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawnkid, Aug 7, 2006.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Just for reference, I was referred to this customer through another and am kind of in a pickle. The homeowner lives in a HOA where all the lawns and common areas are maintained poorly as you can see by another company but they (the homeowners) are responsible for maintianing some of their beds. Now I have been asked to give the homeowner suggestions on replacing the shrubs along the deck because they are not doing very well for several reasons. In the pictures below I will outline these reasons I feel they are not doing very well. I plan to go to the nursery tomorrow and but I figured I would ask everyone here first what their thoughts were on this situation. Basically what I'm asking is if people here can give me any shurb suggestions for these areas with all these restrictions listed in the pictures below.

2. lawnkid

In this first picture the customer would like me to give them suggestions on replacing all the pink impatiens with some perennials becuase they hate having the hassle of spending money every year on planitng in the spring and removing them in the fall. So if anyone has a suggestion on a perennial flower to replace these in the beds please share it.

IMG_0653_1.JPG

3. lawnkid

Picture # 2 shows a small bed along the driveway and garage. I have marked the directions of the bed so that you can tell what kind of sun the area gets. these pictures were taken around 5:30 pm EST and as you can tell this area gets shade probably until around 11 am from the shadow of the house and then full sun. Customer wants taxus' removed and replaced with something else as well as impatiens replaced with some perennials. Also, I forgot to mention that all the beds are irrigated overnight and again in the afternoon by the customer so they get watered well.

IMG_0654_1.JPG

4. lawnkid

Picture # 3 shows the area along the deck (red circle) that has had shrubs removed due to improper planning. The area encircled in red is about 2'x8'. Previously there were hollies planted there but they all died. As you can see the row of vibernums encircled in green are doing very well. This backyard is shade all morning until about 3pm because of all the evergreens and large trees surrounding the property. Outlined in blue is a large row of pines and maples that form a wall of shade the majority of the day including the ones along the right side of the picture that were planted upon completion of the home by the general contractor about 5 years ago so I'm sure they will grow very large too. The homeowner would like to keep all the pines along the right side of the photo so no removal of those, just planting of shrubs in red area. Any plant suggestions for the area in red????? Sun comes up directly over area of trees in blue from the east.

IMG_0655_1.JPG

5. lawnkid

Picture # 4 just shows a closeup of the area that needs new shrubs (outlined in red again) and a cloeup of the row of vibernums as well. Customer likes to entertain guests at her home and always has a lot of get togethers on the deck so something that is nice to match with the deck obviously and other plants. Money is not really an issue either on this job. Customer just wants some new shrubs in the bare areas but I'm told she is very picky so.... I took a soil probe and the area is very wet all day due to the watering. Suggestions os this area needed please???

IMG_0656_1.JPG

6. lawnkid

Picture # 5 shows the other side of the stairs on the deck. The hollies are not doing very well in this area either so they would need to be replaced. The black line shows the row of trees that surround the property and the brick building is a power substation so the trees were originally planted to hide it. Suggestions for this area in red as well please....

IMG_0657_1.JPG

7. lawnkid

Picture #5 shows the other side of the deck where again the taxus' are not doing very well. Customer would like these removed and replaced with something that will work better in that area. The power substation is more visible in this picture than the last. The row of red arrows shows how the water on the hill flows right into the blue area and collects in the beds as well. There are actually three taxus' in a row where the yellow area is and the ones on the end are dead so... Any suggestions for this area????

IMG_0658_1.JPG

8. lawnkid

Picture # 7 shows a better picture of the hill and where the water all collects. (area in blue). I'm not sure if this next factor is important but about 20ft directly behind the brick wall (power substation ) there is a concrete noise barrier wall (shown slightly in green) that follows a 6 lane highway. Not sure if that matters but thought I'd put it out there just to be safe. Customer likes hydrangeas along side of house so again only shrubs along deck in this pic need to be removed and new ones installed.

IMG_0659_1.JPG

9. lawnkid

Picture # 8, last picture finally. This picture actually goes along with the first couple regarding the impatiens being replaced with some perennials instead.

IMG_0660_1.JPG

10. lawnkid

Ok I am done posting pictures so again if anyone here would mind giving me some suggestions before I go to the nursery I would appreciate it. I plan on buying the Visual Impact Imaging's Earthscapes program or PRO Landscape 12.0 this week so I will make an attempt to design but I am new to designing so that's why I need some help. I would really like to do this job because this could lead to several more in the future if done properly. If someone needs to ask a question about any of the pictures, just PM me. Thanks again for looking.