Shrub trimming and back pain

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by eggy, Jul 19, 2014.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

How do you guys deal with back pain from constant shrub trimming, I am talking nine hour days of constant bending over trimming day in day out, with having someone else cleaning up behind you, such as hoa accounts that take a week or better to complete....we go about a month of daily trimming 9 hours a day....kinda gets to the lower back...stretching? Back brace?

2. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

I use my product called the Easy-Lift Harness. During normal use I have increased my work production 100% on an average day. The ergonomic design transfers all of the kinetic energy to the length of the back pack frame work allowing the end user complete control for the first time while encouraging proper posture.
    I only use the ELH for any hedging,line trimming or pole pruning work since I choose to work smarter, not harder.
    www.easyliftharness.com

3. Twinlakes

Twinlakes LawnSite Member

Either your really good or you don't have adequate help.

It's another thing if your trimming topiary Rabbits.

Dang, that's a lotta prunin'!

4. eggy

We don't mow and go threw a long stretch of nothing but trimming, some of the hoa properties are 40 plus homes, I think the problem is after 16 years of landscaping I am getting old
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Mike NY

Mike NY LawnSite Member
    from NY.

Using extended reach pruners like a sthil combi or the like, has enabled me to continue pruning. Less bending over or reaching. They have also minimized my use of a ladder.
    Like you I feel the pain of working 33 years in the biz.
    I still Hurt, but, otherwise I wouldn't even be able to do it.
    Train the young guys to rough them in and you do touch-ups.
    Good luck.

6. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

The right equipment makes the job go faster which means less stress on the body. I remember when I retired my 18" electric and went to a Sthil 24" HS45.

This year I bought the HL135 hedge trimmer attachment for my FS90R. Talk about cutting time and almost never touching a ladder.

HS81R 30" is going to be my next one. Then one of their 40" models.

As to your back. Ache usually comes from weak muscles. Sitting with poor posture will give one weak lower back muscles. So you can do exercises to see if that helps. Also instead of trimming for 8 hr day. Trim for 4 or 2 hours.

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I used to do a lot of Hedge trimming. Now I just find a company, I can trust, who specializes in trimming and let them do it. I still do up to 8 or so small hedges. Kinda burned out on that aspect of the biz--well worn out too:laugh:

8. OZcut

OZcut LawnSite Member

With some of the guys i have come across doing this work everyday,they use electric trimmers and a generator.

The gas powered stuff gets heavy after a few hours for most people.
    Take a electric trimmer with you for a try out and you will find out how easy it becomes.

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

When I first started I had Electric. Then I chopped the power cord a couple of times. Learned the value of duct tape:laugh:

10. eggy

The hedge trimming fills in the time from late july and august, a usually hot and dry period for us...fits in good after spring mulching/planting and until fall planting starts back....I love smelling the exhaust fumes bent over all day.. but I guess its just how it is..