Shrub Trimming Job (before and after Pictures)

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by ArenaLandscaping, Jul 28, 2011.

1. ArenaLandscaping

ArenaLandscaping LawnSite Member

Here are some before and after pictures of a 3 week shrub trimming job that I am on.

I have been trimming the trees and shrubs on this property for the last 10 years. It took a long time to get this property to look like this.

The previous landscaping company had neglected anything that had to do with the beds, they concentrated more on the lawn.

The first initial pruning took me over 2 months to complete. I have never personally seen so much dead wood and bad pruning cuts .

Any comments or opinions would be appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. v_mac_09

v_mac_09 LawnSite Member

Looks Great! Very nice work...

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

OK, I'm going to catch it for this, but why did you ruin those Jap maples?

I know some gardens require formal trimming but not Jap maples. Fine and dandy keeping the hedges tight, but Jap maples turned into umbrellas?

Sorry, those look terrible IMO.

4. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Agreed 1000%

You've done a great job on the shrubs....the 3 large burning bush (?- can't tell exactly) look fantastic! But the Maples....oh my.

5. DIXIECONTRACTING

DIXIECONTRACTING LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I also agree only if the customer requested them to be trimmed that way and even then I would strongly advise them against it. Jap Maples should be very lightly pruned just to keep them neat but never tight like that. My 2 cents but everything else looks great!

6. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

The shrubs look great, they look like they have been regularly maintained and not the mess you started with. But I have to agree with everyone else on the jap maples. I would never ever take a hedge trimmer to them, only a pair of hand pruners. Even if the customer requested it and I couldn't talk them out of doing it, I would still just do the rest and prune the maples and let them see them pruned before I ever hacked them up. I would be conceared about stressing it out way to much, something that jap maples are suseptable to

7. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Those look very nice!! Is that with a hand shears or power?

8. ArenaLandscaping

ArenaLandscaping LawnSite Member

I would not say "hacked them up" I take offense to that! It takes skill to trim a jap maple like that, 10 years of pruning. Most people cant trim like that. I was unaware there was a rule book for trimming jap maples or trimming in general. Doing what I do to shrubs and trees has made me very successful , with many happy customers.The tree has never been stressed not once in 10 years. The customer did not request me to trim it that way . I felt that they would have to be trimmed that way to fit into the landscape. Here is a picture of the tree. I may be seeing things, but I see a very healthy tree.

[​IMG]

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

FWIW, I asked my 12 YO daughter what she thought. She said they were ugly because they look like mushrooms, not trees. She thought the shrubs looked great though.

For me, it's just a thing I have for allowing things to grow as God intended. I can appreciate a nice hedge, but IMO trees should not be trimmed like this.

Take a pic this fall when the leaves are off and then we can see if you did a professional job of trimming or not.

10. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Im confused... God wants bushes trimmed up neat but not decorative trees? I guess Mr Miagi is going to hell for what he did to those bonsai trees!
    Posted via Mobile Device