1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

shrub trimming when its cold !!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blades of Steel, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

New commercial account.

The customer is requesting the shrubs be cut and its getting in the 30s and 40s at night. I told him it is too cold to cut them right now but if you want them done then I'll do them reluctantly!!!! I will also require a signed statement that I will not be responsible for for dead shrubs in the spring due to cutting them too late in the season.

1. Is it too late to cut back some holley's and boxwoods bushes, just the shoots that have come up?

2. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Hey, I think it is bad to prune now.
    Since you will be pruning now, new growth will be stimulated and because of the winter... it will damage the shrubs. Also, nutrients are removed that would otherwise have been moved into the main stems and roots for winter storage.

- M e x i Ki n g
  3. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I have never had a problem with them when trimming this time of year. I can tell you for a fact that there are about as many opinions on this as there are on Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge. I did hear Paul James on Gardening by the yard say that aside from all the classic reasons that people like to trim in spring or summer, there is no real danger to shrubs from pruning in winter.
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

As long as its NOT a flowering bush why not. Hay if anything its cooler and no BEES.
  5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Go ahead and prune them. If ure only getting into the 30's and 40's at night then it will not hurt new growth if it happens to come out somewhat. Most of the shrubs are now going dormant and doesnt want to produce new growth.
  6. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I would prune them. I normally don't take to much off this time of year. Just enough to make them look good.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i had problems last year. i trimmed boxwoods, yews, and junipers. the yews were no problem, but the boxwoods and junipers, got very brown, and didn't recover till almost the next fall. worth mentioning, it snowed about a week after we trimmed.
  8. Curtis

Curtis LawnSite Member

I've never had any problems trimming this late as long as you didn't cut any more than the new growth . If your'e worried about new growth there are growth inhibitors . Gardina and some Camelia shouldn't be trimmed until Febuary when it's real cold .
  9. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Commercial account, Holly & Boxwood in Mississippi (30 - 40*) .....trim away!

Blooming shrubs that grow off of 'new wood' might be shocked and die....is this right?:rolleyes:
  10. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Never lubricate your trimmers with roundup.....