Shrub Trimming

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-N-Garden Guy, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

What type of lube do you folks use for gas powered hedge trimmers,I have been using PAM for a couple years now and seems to work ok then at the end of the day I use carb cleaner to clean them off.

2. Hud

Hud LawnSite Member

3. illday

illday LawnSite Member

wd-40

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Thanks for the water tip. Ill have to try that. It is the first I have heard of it.

5. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Yes thanks thats a new one and I guess if your up early enough when the dew is on the shrubs they get lubed as well,But I would think WD-40 is kind rough on the freshly cut ends

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Ditto.

My parts and equipment guy told me to keep them soaked in a mixture of kerosene and motor oil. I've never needed it, though, with the wd40.

7. Hud

Hud LawnSite Member

You can feel how well it works. Using a clean & sharp pair of hand hedge clippers, do some trimming on a shrub until you feel the blades resisting from sap build-up. Then hit the front & back of the blades with a couple squirts from the water bottle. Repeat. Works the same on the glass clippers 'cept you can't feel it:D

BTW, those folks at that site I posted are some very, very serious shrub trimmers. The entire site is worth a read. Did you see what brand gas trimmer they prefer to use? HINT: It wasn't any brand considered to be commercial grade.;)

8. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Don't know about the clippers but I do know they have been in the saw biz for some time now and they have a good saw.

I have used these saws back in the days I worked for a co. that cleared the growth from underneath power lines,What a job that was.

9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I hate trimming bushes.

10. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

I luv trimming shrubs as long as I have my guys p/u all the clippings ,Thats what I hate about trimming shrubs ,all those darn clippings