1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

shrub value

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by longslawn, Feb 26, 2002.

1. longslawn

longslawn LawnSite Member

I have a customer that is losing a piece of her property to the state DOT. There is a camellia japonica shrub that is about 12'x12' in size in excellent shape in this area.
    What I need to know is what would be the cost to replace this shrub?
    She ask if it could be moved and I told her yes but that it would need to be dug by a tree planting service. I know this would be costly and the DOT most probally wouldn't pay for this anyway.

Any idea on the value of a shrub this size?
  2. tramahor

tramahor LawnSite Member

Im not sure what the cost of the camellia is but I can tell you they don't transplant well. They tend to not make it after the season. Just my .02:blob3:
  3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

longslong, actually the state would have to pay her the money for the tree if its worth any value. my professor was telling us in class that 5 sugar maples were going to be cut down at the cities cost to widen the road and she called my professor and had him come out and apraise the trees and the state removed the trees she had bought her 5 new ones and pay her the difference of worth.
    tell your customer to have an arborist come out and apraise the tree and depends its value she might be able to get something out of it.
  4. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

RS Means 2001 data

Camellia Japonica Plant Only with Overhead and Profit

1 Gal container:

3 Gal Container:

5 Gal Container:

12'x12' - I would guess 15 gal container?? no price in the book over 5 gal.

Installation Labor with Overhead and Profit stoney(hard) soil:

Bagged and Burlapped rootball

12" diameter rootball by hand

15" dia by hand

18" dia by hand

24" dia by hand

36 dia by backhoe / loader (no by hand option)

Min $200+ my $.02

5. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

The larger a shrub is, the harder it is to find commercially available hence the more expensive it is. Since we are on the edge of their habitat, not certain about largest available sizes but I know we never see any that large for sale. Calling a local arborist is a good start.
  6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

My nurseries list them as;

15 gallon = $95 (wholesale) and $180 (Retail)

16" box = $125 (wholesale) and $250 (retail)

Specimin = $450 retail (no size listed).