1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Shrubbery info

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by guntruck, Apr 16, 2001.

1. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Hey fellers, i am getting alot of calls for shrubbery installs. I am not a shrub king, in fact im only familiar with the few basic ones around here. Is there any book or encyclopedia of shrubs that i can purchase and take to potential clients so they can look and pick and choose what they want. I got a price list from my local shemin nursery and they are all in botanical names, man am i lost!!!!!! I cant even find the simple stuff in there, i think they made it for horticultural einsteins!!!! Thanks
  2. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this the Shemins in White Marsh? Look for the Photo book that they carry and also the Woody Ornamentals book by Michael Dirr. Also, Horticopia makes a set of cd's with pictures that you can print out. The latin botanical names actually help keep down confusion because common names change from region to region.
  3. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Yes Lanelle this is the shemins in white marsh, how did you know? And thanks for the info i'll check it out. =)
  4. go dirr. michael dirr. good books for any landscaper. get the big one (woody trees and shrubs) and get a picture one. the books should be at shemins. they will have both latin and common names and doing the conversion isnt that hard.