1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

shrubs all dying.... HELP!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by hobbsd, Jun 24, 2007.

1. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

A commercial client of mine has around 20 yews that have large portions of the plant turning reddish brown and dying off.

I can't figure it out, they have been getting enough water, and 70% of the plant looks great, but the 30% is completely dead! It started right after the winter and is getting worse.

Any help on identifying and solving this problem would be much appreciated!

2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Salt damage from winter?? possibly?
  3. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know but I would check with the nursery and with my local extension department. Run a soil test.
  4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

They can get a type of borer that does that.
  5. east sooke man

east sooke man LawnSite Member

first thing to check after enough water, is if they were planted too deep, they cannot be any deeper than the original depth, any soil or mulch that is up against the trunks will slowly kill them. Make sure that the original soil height from the nursery is as high as the surrounding soil, no higher, all the way out to the drip line.
  6. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

sound like winter kill to me. what are you winter time temps?
  7. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Don't have an answer , but I have several at one of last year's installs that are doing what you describe - first time I have ever seen that with yews - others on the same site are doing fine.
  8. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

How long have they been planted? Are they mature or newly planted?
  9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Yews are highly susceptible to poor drainage. Check that. However...

It sounds to me like damage from mice or voles under the snow, over the winter. They eat the bark off and affected branches are killed.
  10. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

Ive had that happen due to exhuast from trucks sitting there running.