Shrubs and bushes trimmed...?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Brothers-One, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Brothers-One

Brothers-One LawnSite Member

Just got a call from a lady that wants to have her shrubs and bushes trimmed for Easter.Isnt there a certain time to trim and not to trim? Just asking...
    Thanks...

2. blakeg314

blakeg314 LawnSite Member

if you trim now, the seedlings on the bushes will not grow back and this here will kill or stop the bush from grwoing.. tell her this and make sure she knows that this may happen..in boston i usually wait till june and july months even sometimes august

3. Brothers-One

Thanks,Blake...Anyone else have any comments or thoughts? I,m all ears...

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

What kind are you trimming?Do they have this years bud developing or breaking on them now?If so you'll be cutting off this years flowers.If it is just rank growth above and beyond the shape of the plant and you can just cut that off without worry.But I say if the customer want's it cut..cut it...Her shrubs,her decision..if you won't cuz you think it is the wrong time of year..she will find somebody who will.

5. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

AND, on top of everything else, there are shrubs that bloom on old wood and shrubs that bloom on new wood. You AND the client need to know which is which in order to have flowers from one year to the next.

If you have pictures, perhaps some of us can advise you.

6. Brothers-One

I have a list of the plants and shrubs:Spierea, Spierea(Magic carpet)Rosey Glo Barberiea,Burning Bush,Red Twig Dogwood, Rug Juniper,Euoynmus,Alberta Spruce,Holly Blue,Sand Cherry,Pompus Grass,Box wood. This is most of them.I dont know if I spelled them right,but anything you can tell me would be helpful. She wants me to pull a couple Alberta Spruce and a Burning bush.Spike fertilize some and kill some weeds that are growing up in her patio bricks. This should take me about 6-7 hrs. What should I charge for all this work? I really do appericiate any help.Thanks,Tuna.

7. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

Most of the shrubs you mentioned are not known for their flowering capabilities. The spirea will flower in the late spring and summer, but flower on new growth...trimming is ok. The rest of the shrubs are primarily known for their texture and leaf color (burningbush/euonymous/barberry/redtwig dogwood (stem color) and/or evergreen characteristics. Trimming now should not be a problem...

I'm assuming you know how to prune and trim.

Good luck.

8. Brothers-One

Thanks,hoyboy.. I took a "crash course" a couple yrs ago. I think I can do it. Would you know what I should charge for this? Tuna