Shurflo electric backpack sprayer?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Shady Brook, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am looking for info on these electric sprayers. It seems they have had some issues in the past, and I wonder if they have made noticeable improvements in quality.

I also want to know with that 1gpm pump, can you really pump the tank dry in 1 minute? I was thinking about using in back yards for weed control, and would like the option of broadcasting small locations. I would like a consistant pattern, and get good coverage at walking speeds. Trying this with my pump backpacks are not fun. Will it put out enough volume to be useful for this type of application?

How hard is it to get a spare battery, or is it not something you can change in the field? What kind of cost is associated with a replacement battery should the original fail, or as a replacement.

Any thoughts on the unit would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Jay

2. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Jay, a pump backpack with a pressure regulator will give you a consistent spray pressure without the hassles of electric pump and battery maintenance.

Don't you worry about muscles getting flabby if everything you do is motorized? :D

Hey, just noticed - neat avatar, for a Yankee! Someday maybe I'll take time to put this in mine:

[​IMG]

3. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Hey Jim, Stonewall rocks! I may have been born and raised in the North, but I am a Confederate through and through. How bout you Jim?

So your saying I can just attach a regulator and it will be consistant? Where do you attach it so that it does not get in the way? Actually I think I have a couple sprayers that need some work. Boy my elbow gets mighty sore after a while.

Do you know of anyone who makes, or anywhere to get a electric battery powered pump to make a spray rig for a mower without a battery set up? Yeah, that sounds lazier still.

Thanks Jim
    Jay

4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Jay, give me a call and run over here for lunch someday with me and Bob. We installed an electric sprayer on one of his old mowers last year. Seeing it in person is the best description, right?

A pump BP pressure regulator is a separate item, usually made by BP manfacturer as an option. Generally mounts just before or in your hand sprayer valve. Gives you steady pressure no matter how high tank pressure is; cuts off if tank pressure drops too low.

And me, I'm a displaced tarheel (born in NC). Grew up in military and love military history. Civil War would have had a different outcome, or at least would have lasted a lot longer, if Jackson had not been killed. One of the real horrors of war: he was killed by friendly fire.

5. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Thanks for the offer Jim! I need to make a trip over to Lesco's anyway. I was thinking of sending the wife with my order, but I would not get to enjoy a visit with you. I always learn alot from you.

Somehow it does not shock me that you are a history nut. I defineately think Civil War history is some of the most fascinating, and certainly has had a huge effect on the country we now see around us.

I agree with you on Stonewall. He would have had to have a significant impact on the rest of the war. Longstreet nearly met the same fate in the same place by friendly fire as well. It is too bad that the south did not take the offensive early they could have possibly ended the war quickly, but that was not the plan.

I will be in touch
    Jay

6. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

FWIW, I've been using shurflo's propack and I'm happy with it. I think I'll get better results from a skid sprayer, all the same. The only thing about the propack is that the pressure only goes so high, and there are times when I could use a little more. Also, it's next to impossible to feather with it. You do, however, get consistent pressure, spray pattern, etc. As far as pumping it dry in 4 minutes (4 gal) I wouldn't look for it - depends on the size of your spray opening, too. It's a good sprayer.

7. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a search for them and several post will show up.

I got the first 2 that hit Az 2 years ago .
    Returned them both 3 times each .
    They may just have all the bugs out thanks to me.

No , it won't go through 3 gallons in 3 minutes .
    Well , maybe if you cut the wand off so there's nothing holding it back .
    I just bought a Rocket Sprayer with a beefed up Shurflo pump and Battery .
    It's still here in my living room.

I ike my SP 3's better than anything , so far

8. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Arizweedhead

Thanks for the input. I just talked to Kit at Rocket Sprayer. He seemed like a nice helpful fella. He was reccomending the bigger unit as well. I was looking at the prices of the refurbished units for 129, then he mentioned the big dog for 259. That is quite a price difference.

Have you used it yet? I assume not. Please rush outside and test it for me. :D. How is the construction compared to the shurflo, and thoughts comparison wise? How heavy is it, it must be a beast fully loaded?

Any other thoughts would be great.

Jay

9. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

I just got a call today from a distributor I bought my Shurflo back pack from telling me it has been recalled. Check before you buy that it is not a recalled product.

10. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

They were recalled because the battery charger was catching fire. Our tests have shown that at the proper walking pace they apply .5 to .75 G per 1000 at the highest setting. Not consistent or high enough for herbicides, at least for us, but works great for shrubs.