1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Shurflo help needed.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bill8379, May 23, 2008.

1. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a shurflo and I'm charging the battery. I used to use a hand pump that you carry, not the back pack type.

Anyway there are three settings on the shurflo, fine, medium and fast. Should I be using the fast setting for spraying lawn with pesticide? and if anyone could tell me how much liquid is sprayed on a 1000 sq ft it would save me some time.:waving:

and any other shurflo advice or stories are welcome too.:clapping:
  2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

the label has this information on it .

You would have to calibrate it yourself .
    Put 3 gallons in tank , cover 1K SF and see how much ya got left .
    That will tall you what it takes to cover 1K SF .
    For this I would use the higher setting speed .
    Use a fan type jet
  3. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

Calibrating a hand sprayer and using it as calibrated is tricky because you're usually just spot spraying. A rule of thumb is one gallon covers 2000 SF so if your herbicide gets applied at 1.5 oz/1000, then use 1.5 oz per gallon. Use the top speed. The included tip works fine but some people prefer to switch out.
  4. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

different settings for diff apps ... but each has to be calibrated as stated above
    put in 3 gallons of water and spray a 1000 ft sq
    do this occasionally to recheck calib
    personally i would use the heavy setting for insecticides that i want to ensure complete coverage or stauration
    a finer sray for herbicides and such
  5. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys, I hurt my back a couple days ago so I'm going to hold off spraying (I don't have many customers). I agree that I better calibrate it myself to be certain, I also have to find something to hold extra water.

The only thing I don't like about this Shurflo so far, (I haven't actually used it yet) is the charging system. It gives no indication that it's charging, no LED light or anything.