Shutting down John Deere Z turns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lewdo, Aug 1, 2006.

1. lewdo

lewdo LawnSite Member

I recently bought a new 737 zturn and after running it, I would idle it down and shut it off. If I didn't wait 20-30 seconds before shutting it off it would back fire. I talked with the local service manager and was advised there is a service bulletin on these mowers that state they should be shut off at full throttle. Although, it's not back firing anymore, it just doesn't seem right to shut it off at full throttle...anybody out there experience the same problem?
    Thanks

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Pull it down to 2/3 throttle and wait 20-30 seconds and it won't backfire and is much better on the engine than shutting don at full throttle. Also that is a KAW engine thing.

3. D&R

D&R LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Kohler recommends shuting their engines down at full throttle to avoid the "backfire." I do this with my Lazer everytime with no problems what so ever. My Kawi I can shut down any way I want with no "backfire." Just my .02 worth.

4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

He is correct, I do not know what kind of motor it is but I had the same problem with 27 hp Kohler's and the factory told me to switch it off at full throttle and I have never done that to any engine in my life but it works. They said by switching it off at full throttle it would burn all of the gas and fumes out and I promise you it works and will not harm the engine because a air cooled engine is cooling the best at full throttle and will actually get hotter at lower speeds, it is not at all like a liquid cooled engine.

5. Loy's Home Services  LLC

Loy's Home Services LLC LawnSite Member

I have to turn my 757 off at full throttle too. While I'm here, it has a 25 hp Kaw. on it and it drinks the fuel. Anybody else have the same engine? and same complaint!

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

How to avoid backfire at shutdown 101:

Idle down for 5-10 seconds, then at the same time, turn ignition switch off while giving it full throttle.

Problem solved.