Shutting off the blades makes a big mess!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcwlandscaping, Sep 17, 2005.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

All right guys, i have been having a problem lately when mowing. At the end, when i go to shut off the blades, and when i do, a bunch (like clumps and clumps!!) of grass comes out and piles onto the lawn. Same thing happens when i have the blades on and drive onto pavement. It just all comes out!! It defeats the perpose of having the exmark to save time when i have to spend a bunch of time cleaning this up!

Has anyone else had this problem and what can i do to fix it? Thanks, any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

When you go over pavement your are getting blowout. When you shut the blades off, some of the wet grass you have cut is falling from the deck in clumps, try shutting the blades off over the grass, then you can just blow the clumps into small pieces that will disperse.

3. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

I am guessing that you are using a mulch kit and you are loosing vaccum when you go over the pavement. Happens to me all the time when the mulch kit is on unless I am cutting really wet grass then it could be grass caked up under the deck that releases when the blades are shut down. This is also caused by loss of vaccum.

4. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

This happens when you cut wet grass with said mulcher or side discharge. The grass builds up above the blades and when you turn them off it falls onto the decelerating blades. There is nothing that can be done about it except what was mentioned, pause for a moment then turn off over grass.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I resorted to 1. never coming even close to concrete or pavement. 2. Leaving the blades ON all the way to the truck, then turn them off to s*** the pile and then scoop it up with a snow shovel. and then 3. Selling that worthless mulching machine and BAGGING the grass like it should be done.

P.S. if you turn the blades off over the grass, you better be prepared for a big dead spot in the lawn caused be the 10 pounds of slime that fall from the deck. Oh, and one irate and FORMER customer.

6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

haha, resort to bagging the lawn? Your kidding id assume, if the lawns that wet to begin with my add a heavy bagger to only make this situation worse? Try to cut when its your most dry parts of the day and this probably wont happen. I sometimes take the blower over spots like this or rechop it up with the mower.

7. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Taking a dump.

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Humm, well I bag 68 out of 72 lawns I mow a week. the 4 I don't bag are weed farms that don't grow enough to warrent bagging. My entire catching unit, including the blower weighs about 50 pounds. If you are concerned about weight then empty it more frequently. You have to remember, we are not mowing large acre estates here, most lawns are between 3 to 20 thousand sq. feet. Large commercial properties and multi home complexes are maybe 1 to 3 acres at best. Bagging is not that big of a deal here. I have seen other citys, where one property is multiple acres. Yeah, that's not possible to bag!

There is a out of town lco mowing our local Target store lawn here. he dosn't bag. I have NEVER seen that lawn look so HORRIBLE in all the years that it's been there. Thanks to corperate BS the lco (who's local, and one of the best in the city) got the axe for "the low bidder" this year. Sad shame, it will take someone a year to make it look like it used too.

9. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Oh by the way,I don't leave it on the lawn I pick it up. Id rather pick it up over the grass because it dosen't leave wet green slime on the pavement that way.

10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

my exmark drops the clump but my quik track doesnt. For the exmark I leave the blades on until im in the trailer and let it drop.