Shuttting Down Dixie 25hp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luckylawnboy, Nov 20, 2000.

1. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2001 Dixie Flatlander. I was wondering if there was a certian way to properly shut down the engine. The owners manual says to Idle down then shut off, like a other traditional mowers I have had. A local guy told me that they had electric fuel pumps and that they shut fuel off delayed after you turn the key. When Ever I idle down then shut it off, it back fires, when Ever I leave it open it shuts down just fine. Sounds better, and doesn't Back Fire.
    Any comments.

2. pace lawn care

pace lawn care LawnSite Member

I have a 25 Kolher and it is just the opposite, it backfires if I don't idle it down for about 30 seconds.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree they should be idled down and let run for about 30 seconds to a minute. I did a search on BACKFIRE and come up with 2 good threads on this subject. Be sure to read Grassmasters post on the second link here. He repairs engines and wrote a great post. For those that don't have time to find it, I'll paste it below the thread links.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=1613
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=2067

Hello:

The Kohler is famous for this & they were that way 15 years ago. Even the 2 cylinder engines.

Lower your idle speed & adjust low speed mixture screw. The problem will be gone 99 out of a 100 times. If this is done properly & still have problems its time for a valve job!

I wouldn't advise shutting one off at no other speed than idle for at least 30 seconds min. Also when engine is idleing it will over heat, if let run long enough burn up engine.

Thats why they are called air cooled engines. The engines run best & cooler at full throttle & last longer.

----------
    GrassMaster - Have a nice day!!!!!

There is other good advice on why not to shut down an engine other than at an idle in the links

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

my 25 kohlor use to backfire so lound when i turned it off it sounded like a explosion ans customers would too see what happend.... that was with idling it for a while beofre turnuing it off like i have always been told to do. someone hear one lawnsite told me to start shutting it off and 3/4 throttle... i started doing that and it hasnt once back fire in 4 months. My 21.5 kawasaki is the oposite. It will back fire if i turn in off on high throttle what not if i ilde it for a while.

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

My 26 won't backfire.

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Hey MowEd, My diesel doesn't backfire either. :D

7. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

My 19HP Kaw. did the same thing. Try to idle down for 30 sec. then idle to 1/2 and shut off. works great.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Kohlers will do this. My Briggs Little Wonder 8hp blower backfires just the same. My old Dixie I had set up so that the seat safety switch was unhooked. When I pulled it on the trailer (hot) I idled it down. Got off and put up ramp, strapped it down and then a min later, reached over and shut it down. No fireworks. If you do this at night, ther is a 10" flame that comes out!!! My old Cub Cadet 12hp Kohler when mowing at night, would burn so hot that the base of the muffler would glow red!! And yes, Kohlers have been backfiring since at least 1968.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 20 hp. Kohler Magnum that if you don't let it idle down for 30 seconds or so, it doesn't backfire when you shut it down; but when you start it back up. Even after it sets awhile. It's just the amount of fuel pumped into the bowl that causes this. If the level is not allowed to lower, it just flows right to the cylinder with very little suction required.