Sick and tired of looking looking like a dirty rag

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by spray_man, Jul 22, 2008.

1. spray_man

spray_man LawnSite Member

Is there a sun block that does not stain clothes?. I spray and fertilize a lot of lawns in the hot humid Florida heat. I use spray-on sun block and mosquito spray (mosquitoes love my blood). The mosquito spray does not appear to stain, but the sun block (almost all of them) leaves an orange stain on my uniforms. I know if I contract with a commercial uniform company, I wont have the problem, I would like to continue doing it myself. Anyone have a suggestion?

2. FL-lawnjockey

FL-lawnjockey Banned

Are you sure it's the sunblock? I only ask because, like you, I use it daily...The ultra sweat proof kind & I've never had it turn my shirts orange.

Now this last year I've gotten into spraying with a 200gal skid. The first time I ran fertilizer through it for the condo I manage, I spent 3 days spraying. Each day when I got home I'd toss my shirts in the hamper. Needless to say I was shocked when I went to do laundry at the end of the week & all my shirts & socks were orange/rust colored from the iron in the fert from reeling in the hose...Live & learn.

BTW. I've been using Publix Sport 50 spf ultra sweat proof.

Rob

3. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine turn orange too. The stains come out with Spray&Wash, but it is a pain in the a**.

4. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

You said it best we use a uniform service. Sometimes the headache they cause makes me wonder why I use them. One thing is for sure when my guys start their day I know they look good wish they stayed that way.

5. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Buy orange shirts....

6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

All my clothes are stained beyond recognition so fast anyways, that I don't even notice the stain anymore...

7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

This is why I wear only white canvas or oxford shirts. If micrornutrients stains the shirt, I can wash them with Iron Out. Here in Hawaii, a lot of the soils are red clay. That causes a worse stain than any chemical I know of because of the iron and manganese.

For sunscreen, I am partial to Bullfrog 45 Superblock. Does not rub off or run into the eyse. It is water resistant.

8. spray_man

spray_man LawnSite Member

I've had it, I am going with a uniform company. I like Cintas (so far) they are the biggest in the industry and seem to do a good job and charge a reasonable price. Anyone else suggest a different company?

9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i have never had the problem, but then again our shirts are orange!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I use sunscreen and my white shirts are stained orange / brown wherever they contact the sunscreen. I don't do fert / chemical apps so the sunscreen definitely stains.