1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sick and Tired...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Aug 17, 2006.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I'm ready for fall clean-ups to start. People are really starting to annoy the heck out of me these days. Fromt he stupid arses in the mini vans on their cell phones who pull in front of you, to all the lawn crap that people are to lazy to pick up on the day that I get there to mow. You would think that after mowing 12 times on the same day people would get the hint.

Today's last stop just tops it all off. It's a lawn located above town. Not to high but you know you're burning gas to get there. I pull in the yard and drop the gate when owner comes over. "Hi...is there any way you can mow tomorrow?" I look at her and say nothing. "It's just that we're about to do some recording and since you usually came on Fridays the last two times, I figured you would'nt be here today." I nodded. (The reason I came the last two times was due to the heat slowing things down for the week, which she was aware of)

My mom always said, "If you don't have anything good to day, don't say anything." So I locked the gate back up and left.
  2. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

Are you my long lost sibling? lol
  3. parkeeee

parkeeee LawnSite Member

Congratulations on having the ability to turn and walk away. Looks like a fuel 'surcharge' is in order. IMO

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

If it needed to be cut I would have said it's now or next week!!!!!:hammerhead:
  5. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i here ya, i want the cleanups to start soon myself. i need the extra money of some good cleanups this year. full coverage insurance is running me $1288 this year.
  6. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I am wondering how much drive time you will have to go back on Friday to cut it. Plus gas for getting there.You might lose money on this lawn this week. Not trying to bash but am wondering, cause if the lawn would only take a few minutes to cut then why not just ask the customer can I do it now instead of making another trip back tomm. It will only take me 20 minutes or however long it takes you, and I will be outta here. They could have used the time while you were cutting to be warming up or somethig. Not bashing but just wondering here.

7. travis55

travis55 LawnSite Member

Ill keep it short an sweet , lol . I hear ya !
  8. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Good point. But the lawn is pretty big. This is the week that I normally mow the two side fields on each side of the property and charge by the hour in addition to mowing the lawn. So, when I mow them, I'll be sure to take a little more time to completely offset the cost of the extra gas and time I'm going to use going back.
  9. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!! And Ive said and done that same exact thing!! I had a customer tell me a week in advance that I needed to cut the day after the regular schedule because of his sons birthday party...and of course I did--no problems at all. BUT...if I roll up...and they say tomorrow...I say...now..or next week...end of story.
  10. Turfcutters Plus

Turfcutters Plus LawnSite Senior Member