1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

SICK CATUS ...any one have a clue

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by clyde, Jun 22, 2004.

1. clyde

clyde LawnSite Senior Member

hey everyone this is a catus at one of my accounts . I have no idea what to do to take care of it. Is it ok to cut the dead parts and how should i do all this so as to not hurt the plant

2. clyde

this is how the catus is looking up close
    its decayed

3. clyde

it looks as if something is getting to it see the holes n it

4. kbenvironmental

kbenvironmental LawnSite Member

I can't tell with certainty by the postage stamp pics but I'd say that was an O. Phaeacantha. Does it have yellow flowers? It looks stressed, maybe mildly diseased and has been chewed on by some critters. Prune the at the joints, water 2x a month and it will come back. If you see the white fuzzy stuff on the stems/pads, it is called Cochineal scale. Jet it off with a hose and water, don't use chemicals. To propogate, trim a pad at the joint and stick it in the ground. Use a junk peice of hose to move it. The spines may initially hurt but the teeny glochids will work under your skin and fester.

ps: If you want to hack it, it will still recover with all new growth.